Breast Reduction Surgery

Options
HunterDog
HunterDog Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After seven years I have decided that I would like to pursue a breast reduction in my "good" breast. Will I be up against an insurance battle? Have folks had good luck with coverage for such surgery? I'm tired of poor fitting bras and slipping straps and feeling lop-sided. Thanks.

Comments

• seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Hi there...well, as I understand the change in the laws as concerns breast cancer and plastic or reconstructive surgery, you can get that done. If you are not happy with feeling uneven, or different, I understood my doctor to say that I can have as many surgeries as I need to get it right. I would think that would apply to your situation too.
  • PegN
    PegN Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi, I think there was a law passed that this surgery can be done for "symmetry". When I called my insurance company, I was told it was covered. I had mastectomy/reconstruction and reduction at the same time. I haven't gotten the hospital bill, but I am assuming it is covered. Your doctor probably knows how to document your need so that it will be covered. Hope this information helps!
  • Carrottop
    Carrottop Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Don't do it! I had reduction on the "good" breast and I look like I have been in a fight with Edward Scissorhands! I scarred very badly (who could know) and they itch terribly. It has been a year and 2 months now and I would rather have one droopier - at least it was whole and not altogether unattractive! Now they both just need covering up!