sister with pancreatic cancer

the_sisters2
the_sisters2 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Rare and Other Cancers #1
my sister is 45 yrs. old and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in november. she had the wipple procedure, 6 wks of radiation and chemo and 4 mos.of gemcitibine. This has been the most frightening time of my life. I DESPERATELY need some POSITIVE RENFORCEMENT.
She has one more infusion and the active treatment will be finished.This is my first time on the site.THANK YOU the sisters 2

Comments

• triplet
    triplet Member Posts: 3
    I just want you to know that my 44 sister is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and the only thing to get you through this is trusting in God. I constantly look at the nurses in the hopsital and say how does any one get through this without trusting in God? It is a terrible disease and my sister is a fighter and has many people praying for her. I will start praying for your sister if you want me to.
  • punkymay
    punkymay Member Posts: 11
    I had a related cancer, cancer of the ampulla of vader or ampullary cancer. My sister was larger than life when she stayed with me in the hospital. She slept on a sofa in my room for 11 days. When I needed something from the nurses, she got them hopping.

Just being there will mean so much to your sister. Don't be offended if she doesn't want to talk. This thing takes so much out of you and talking was an effort for me. For this reason, I wanted no visitors or phone calls - only my sister, who understood.

There is one thing I really enjoyed - joking and teasing. Laughter was like pain medicine for me. It really bothered me when people looked at me with pity and I hated flower arrangements that looked the same as those sent to funeral homes. I didn't want to be reminded of how close to death I was.

House work is always appreciated. Sick people do notice when the house is messy. It is all so much more comfortable and cheerful when the house is clean. This is one way you can reduce her stress.

Pets, if she has any, need assistance as well. You don't want her to feel guilty about the fur or feather balls being neglected.

As for you, don't be afraid that this is going to happen to you. I'm the first in my family. The rest of the clan has or has had cardiovascular problems. I have perfect circulation, blood pressure, cholestrol levels and my EKG's are spectacular. If I didn't know better, I'd say that I was adopted.

Also, the next time someone asks "What can I do to help?", ask them to help you out at home while you help your sister. Your life has to keep running while your sis needs you.

The treatments and the cancer make peculiar appetites for the patient - like when you are pregnant. She probably needs to eat less each time, but needs to eat more often. She may want cool melons one minute and pudding the next. Let her eat that way.

Sometimes cooking smells can be nausiating. Try to keep them at a minimum. She doen't need any more problems with sickness.

Nag the doctor. She doesn't have the energy to keep calling. She may not even have the energy to complain.

You must be a wonderful sister.

By the way, I'm 55 and I was diagnosed 9/2003.

God bless you both. punkymay
  • Missit
    Missit Member Posts: 1
    This site

I’m a 50 year old woman who was just diagnosed with ampuullary canever, and am currently recovering from the whipple. I have an appt at Dana Farber on Friday for a discussion on chemo and radiation. I believe this will start by the end of the month.  I just found this website and wanted to say thank you, I’m so happy to hear some positive outcomes and a place to share. I myself don’t know what to expect and am a bit scare. But after reading some of these, I feel better. Thanks it’s nice to know you are not alone.

• duchesscjay
    duchesscjay Member Posts: 1
    Pancreatic cancer

I just was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, I have no clue what to expect. I am 56 years old.

• Oneshot
    Oneshot Member Posts: 153 Member

Pancreatic cancer

I just was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, I have no clue what to expect. I am 56 years old.

Sorry for late reply

Duchesscjay,

Sorry it took so long for any replies to you.  I haven't been on here in close to 3 months myself. Wife recently diagnosed with another type cancer.

Anyway, I am a 10 yr. survior of stage 3 pancreatic cancer. It has been since the 3'rd of this month since you have posted . Thus, I have no clue what you have or have not had done in this time. If you haven't already found out about how the doctors plan to have you proceed or if you have some other questions . I will try to answer them in a timely manner.  I can only explain what I had to do during my battle but , maybe, I can give you some insight to what lies ahead. 

I will state this though.  Make sure you find an oncologist and surgeon who at specialized in pancreatic cancer!  I can't stress that enough!  Don't look at google just go to known and respected cancer sites for info.  Stay as positive as humanly possible.  I know getting cancer of any sort can be overwhelming when you first get told. So, if you are going through a "roller coaster" of emotions. Just know your not nuts! It's normal !  Each of us in our own time and way learns to deal with this news! Just know that each person deals with it differently. I know folks talk about the odds not being good a lot of times for this cancer. But just ALWAYS REMEMBER  " ODDS ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN!"        

Also, here is another good site to check out PANCAN .ORG

Take Care and GOD BLESS,

Oneshot

• Neo
    Neo Member Posts: 1
    There is always hope!

https://www.uchealth.org/today/fighting-pancreatic-cancer/

given a 1% chance of living for six months but she is still alive and doing quite well after nearly 7 years.Laughing

There is always hope!