working and cancer

lbredehoft
lbredehoft Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I recently was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am preparing for the chemo treatments to come beginning next week. I am also an elementary school teacher. Is there anyone out there who also works with children? How did you handle the parents and students? Just want to know what to expect because the new school year is approaching.

Comments

• krisrey
    krisrey Member Posts: 194
    Hi Ibredehoft,
    I think you will find many of us working and having children. For me, my children were in 3rd grade (last year) when I was dx. If there is one thing I found out is that children, especially my childrens friends, were great. I didn't know if my kids would be embarrassed if I went to school, with the very obvious signs of chemo. I have the greatest kids, it didn't matter to them and they always encouraged me...even at that young age! I don't believe in hiding information from kids, so I was very honest with my kids, (power is knowledge even at that young age) so if their friends asked them about me, they pretty much said my mom has cancer! I did not wear a wig, but wore a hat. I worked all through the chemo and pretty much decided that I don't really care what people think.
    I met this one women online that also had breast cancer and she had kids the same age as mine. She went to her sons 3rd grade class and talked to the class about her cancer. I think if the mystery is taken out of the whole thing, then it is much easier to deal with. Lets face it, the hair loss is probably the most devistating thing, but explaining that its only a side effect of the meds and it will grow back pretty quickly, most kids just accept it.
    Good luck with your start of treatment, what chemo regiment will you be on?
    Kris
  • wildangel
    wildangel Member Posts: 81
    Hi, I had chemo with a teacher and she was very concerned about the germs she might get from her students since chemo lowers your immunity so much.
    She kept purell lotion and lysol spray with her at all times, but at the end of her treatments our doctor advised her to take some time off until her counts came up. Good luck to you- I know it seems horrible now but believe it or not chemo is doable.
    Angela
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    I teach a special education unit grades K-5 and went through 4 cycles of AC from March 2003 through May. I reported off for the second half of last year during my surgery and chemo. I sent letters to parents informing them I'd be on extended leave but available by phone and I visited my class whenever red and white cell counts permitted. I explained to my kids about the medicine that would cause me to loose my hair so when they saw me it wouldn't frighten them. They e-mailed me from the classroom daily and kept me updated on their progress. A co-worker who went through the same thing about 10 years ago had CMF for 6 months and was able to work through the entire chemo. I'd say teaching full time will depend on your doctors recommendations, your stamina and whether you're able to keep your blood counts up. Good luck!
    terri
  • Mosis50
    Mosis50 Member Posts: 59
    I am almost one year post chemo survivor. I also work at school (elementary principal) and was very worried about the kids and their reaction to me. When I lost my hair, I wore a hat and the children who asked me why I was wearing a hat were told that I took some medicine and it made my hair fall out. I did communicate with the parents so they would know what was going on. I missed about a week of school each time I did chemo due to the side effects and weakness. The dr. was concerned about me being so close to the nurse's office and so I steered clear of sick kids. That may be hard to do in the classroom but I would think that unless the flu hits your class, you may be ok with some extra disinfecting. Good luck to you. Your kids will be fine if you are. Keep a positive outlook and may GOD bless you in your fight and recovery.
    Susan