Mammogram

Options
Kathy1108
Kathy1108 Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just had my mammogram done yesterday and they called me today to say that they want to take more pictures, this time magnify ones because they see some calcifications. I am very scared. I had breast cancer in the other one. I had a mastectomy, chemo and radiation. It has only been 8 months since my last chemo treatment. I did have scan done and they came back normal. I am still being checked by my surgeon, chemo doctor and radiation doctor. And they all say that I am fine. I have an appointment tomorrow morning for more mammograms.

Kathy

Comments

• mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi Kathy
    Michael here.... I will surely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. One thing we all go through is the waiting and wondering. It is normal to freak out when our imaginations get carried away. But try to keep realistic, and always know your options. It will help you make much better decisions. God bless. I will pray that the doctors find only calcium pebbles in your breasts. God bless.
    -Michael :)
  • bunnie
    bunnie Member Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi just wanted to say good luck and try and stay positive our thoughts and prayres are with you that it will be noithing i know how scared you must fell.bunnie
  • marbleslab
    marbleslab Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Kathy
    I have my mammogram coming up next Tuesday and I am a little nervous about it. We just have to try and not worry. I will be praying that there is nothing to be concerned about when you get the final results.
    Marla
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathy:

Magnification mammo pics are not uncommon. It doesn't mean you need to worry...just that they want a better look at the calcifications. I get the mangification images every time I go for mammo's.

Keep in mind that calcification's are not uncommon. Particularly after menopause. Typically, also not dangerous. The "strings" of calcifications however, give cause for more concern and need further investigation...these are sometimes DCIS but not always, as I understand it.

In the 3 years since my dx, mammo's have detected two tiny, single calcifications. One on the lumpectomy side and one on the healthy side. Neither has shown any change at all and both are thought to be collapsed, benign cysts. I don't worry about them. Surgeon says they will always be there but could potentially become somewhat smaller as they may be reabsorbed to some degree with time. Or not. Radiologist and rad. onc. agree. I am now at yearly mammo's and happy not to be going every 6 months anymore! Whew, that was a lot of running about there for a while. Three doc's every 3 months plus the mammo's every 6 months! Gruelling, in my humble opinion. With time, you'll see the doc's less and less and relax more when it's time for a check up or films. I know it's easy to become very afraid after what we've been through...just try to reign it in and get a good night's sleep.

Hope my experience may help ease your mind a bit and best wishes for a good report on the magnifications!!! Please keep us posted.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Hi there... I can only imagine how upset you are at this latest development. It is true that most calcifications are just that and not cancer. The one thing that I want to say, is do not freak out, but, if you want a biopsy, regardless of what they say, ask for it. I, too, was called back for a magnified view of calcifications. I was told that cancerous ones are jagged and clustered closer together and beneign ones are rounded and spaced apart...and that mine were the latter. To not worry and come back in 6 mos. I went for the biopsy against most medical wisdom and did have cancer. I am not trying to scare you but, just telling you to follow your gut. If it is not cancer, then you have just had discomfort for peace of mind, but, if it is, you are having the earliest detection you can and are possibly dodging a bullet. Good luck and you will be in my prayers. Jan
  • Kathy1108
    Options
    I would to first thank everyone for their good wishes. I did go back to have the other mammograms done and they are still not sure why the califications are there. So, they told me to go to my surgeon because I need a needle wire biopsy done. Because this one they can not feel it, they can only see it on the films. They say this is like a grain of sand. So, I have an appointment this morning with my surgeon to discuss what she has to do. I really did not want to go to the hospital again. I am still scare. Has anyone ever had a needle wire biopsy? I did have a biopsy on my bad side but not this kind.

Kathy
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Kathy1108 said:

I would to first thank everyone for their good wishes. I did go back to have the other mammograms done and they are still not sure why the califications are there. So, they told me to go to my surgeon because I need a needle wire biopsy done. Because this one they can not feel it, they can only see it on the films. They say this is like a grain of sand. So, I have an appointment this morning with my surgeon to discuss what she has to do. I really did not want to go to the hospital again. I am still scare. Has anyone ever had a needle wire biopsy? I did have a biopsy on my bad side but not this kind.

Kathy

Hi Kathy! I had a needle wire biopsy. I have to say it's pretty uncomfortable but it's worth it if they find out you have cancer. They do a mammo and while you're in the machine, they direct the wire into the cluster of microcalcifications. They continue to take pictures to make sure the wire is in the right place. After that, they wrap the area so the wire doesn't come loose and you go to the OR for the biopsy. Unfortunately, mine was positive for DCIS. I had a mastectomy and reconstruction 4 years ago and am doing fine. I go for my annual mammo at the end of the month and I must say, I'm still nervous. Good luck and keep us informed. HUGS!! Cathy
  • Kathy1108
    Options
    cruf said:

Hi Kathy! I had a needle wire biopsy. I have to say it's pretty uncomfortable but it's worth it if they find out you have cancer. They do a mammo and while you're in the machine, they direct the wire into the cluster of microcalcifications. They continue to take pictures to make sure the wire is in the right place. After that, they wrap the area so the wire doesn't come loose and you go to the OR for the biopsy. Unfortunately, mine was positive for DCIS. I had a mastectomy and reconstruction 4 years ago and am doing fine. I go for my annual mammo at the end of the month and I must say, I'm still nervous. Good luck and keep us informed. HUGS!! Cathy

Well, I did go to my surgeon yesterday and she made the appointment for the needle wire biopsy for this Wednesday coming up at 7:30 in the morning. I am still scare. I will let you know how it goes on Wednesday. Then I will have to wait for the results to see if I am fine.
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Kathy1108 said:

Well, I did go to my surgeon yesterday and she made the appointment for the needle wire biopsy for this Wednesday coming up at 7:30 in the morning. I am still scare. I will let you know how it goes on Wednesday. Then I will have to wait for the results to see if I am fine.

Good luck Kathy! We'll all pray for good results!! HUGS! Cathy