Getting 2nd Opinion

mc2001
mc2001 Member Posts: 343
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have read some posts and wanted to address the issue of getting second opinions. When I noticed lumps in my neck I went to doc. He said it was only a virus.. and to wait a month before he would do anything. Next week, lumps, and fever, and night sweats... I go back to Dr. He says to NOT WORRY about it.. its fine, and will go away. I wanted biopsy.. he said no. Third week, lumps, fever, sweats, pain and dizzyness... I go back to Dr. He says I have a fear of my health and need counseling... and Rx's me Valium.... four days later... lumps, fever, sweats, dizzy, pain, headaches, rapid weight loss, pale skin, constant stomach pain.... The next morning... early about 7am when I knew he was the ONLY one there in his office, I drove down... went inside into his office, and DEMANDED in no uncertain terms that he order tests.... I have blood and urine... turns out I am in dire straits and need emergency 4 unit blood transfusion, and what ever else to keep me alive until I can get to a Cancer Center... I was turned over to an oncologist at UCSF Cancer Center. My point... yeah... you probably will insult or bruise egos... but whats more important... egos... or your life. You have control. You make the final decision for your health. Listen to good advice. If you feel you arent getting good advice or attention... get another doctor. When you need pain meds for bad pain...if asking doesnt work the 1st time... you DEMAND the second time! Sometimes we need to be aggressive for our own good. God bless to all.
-Michael
Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia survivor
PS: When I got to UCSF I was given almost a week to live..... that was *almost* NINE years ago! Thank God.

Comments

• hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    You go Michael!
    We are our own best advocate, after all who will take more interest in our own well being than us?
    Thanks for the encouraging words.
    hummingbyrd
  • bettygee
    bettygee Member Posts: 40
    That's great, Micheal! You stood up to the doctor and demanded treatment. So many are afraid of offending the doctor, but as you bring out so well, your health and life are a lot more important than egos. Keep up the good work.
    Betty
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    The amount of bad advice many of us have received from physicians is ming boggling.
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    GOOD FOR YOU MICHAEL!!! We absolutely know our bodies better than anyone else...even doctor's and we know when something is wrong even when they are busy "nay-saying". Thanks for sharing a great motivational story to help us all become better self advocates.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • "You got that right Pilgrim"! After my bc surgery the 1st oncologist I was referred to was all gung ho and was ready to start chemo and rad immediately that day, but after I talked to him for a little while I realized he had not even looked at my medical record, and asked me no questions whatsoever. I left his office and called my insurance co. and told them I had to have a referral to another oncologist. The 2nd one they referred me to had not only read my medical record, he had also gone over to the hospital and looked at my X-rays and bone scans, and when I got there the first thing he said was that because of my other physical problems I was not a good candidate for chemo or radiation therapy, I might not survive the treatments. Please, please, please everyone - listen to your own body - YOU have to live with the results - the doctor doesn't!
    Clara
  • prayerangel
    prayerangel Member Posts: 147
    unknown said:

"You got that right Pilgrim"! After my bc surgery the 1st oncologist I was referred to was all gung ho and was ready to start chemo and rad immediately that day, but after I talked to him for a little while I realized he had not even looked at my medical record, and asked me no questions whatsoever. I left his office and called my insurance co. and told them I had to have a referral to another oncologist. The 2nd one they referred me to had not only read my medical record, he had also gone over to the hospital and looked at my X-rays and bone scans, and when I got there the first thing he said was that because of my other physical problems I was not a good candidate for chemo or radiation therapy, I might not survive the treatments. Please, please, please everyone - listen to your own body - YOU have to live with the results - the doctor doesn't!
    Clara

The saddest thing about this all is, I feel so badly for the shy, reserved patient. I have seen this with the older people. They believe whatever the doctor says as "golden". You have to be aggressive in this day and age AND be your own advocate. Thank you for your uplifting story. Hopefully it will encourage and enable people!!! God bless.