Tamoxifan?

PegN
PegN Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Can premenopausal women take Tamoxifan? If not, are there other options?

Am having mastectomy in a few weeks and the doctor has told me he suspects the node will be estrogen receptor positive. But I thought I'd read or heard that premenopausal women could not take Tamoxifan. Concerned that only other options are the "heavy duty" chemo!

Comments

• Future
    Future Member Posts: 133 Member
    PegN,

I am premenopausal and am on Tamoxifen. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Future
  • BJayeCo
    BJayeCo Member Posts: 13
    Hi PegN. I took tamoxifen for 18 mths at age 40, but had to stop due to bad side effect of irregular bleeding, which can signal uterine cancer, a possible side effect. I also gained about 40 lbs and was having menopausal symptoms due to the change in hormones. I was taking it to prevent breast cancer since I'd had so many precancerous and other lumps over the years. Unfortunately, I developed B/C 18 mths after coming off the tamoxifen, so I'm not sure how much it helped. If you decide to take it, consider the side effects carefully and try to balance the benefits vs the possible negative side effects. Even with all the problems I had, I feel it was worth the try, since the B/C has been much worse. My best advise is to get as informed as possible before starting it. BJaye
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Hi! I was perimenapausal prior to taking Tamoxifen. I've been on it now for almost 4 years. My period stopped after the first month and I must say, I'm not unhappy about that. The only side effects I've had has been the hot flashes and night sweats,which I still get regularly, and some vaginal discharge. I have gained a few pounds but nothing I can blame on the Tamoxifen.I am very happy that I've been on it and plan to go on Arimidex or one of the other meds after I finish the 5 years of Tamoxifen. I feel I must do anything possible to prevent any reoccurance of BC. Good luck with your decision. Keep us informed. HUGS!! Cathy
  • epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137
    PegN - I think you're thinking of Arimidex, which cannot be taken if you're pre-menopausal. But you can definitely take Tamoxifan if you're pre-menopausal...I have several friends who are doing so. Unfortunately I'm ER/PR- so none of these drugs are available to me. It's best to research it, discuss it with your doctor and then decide. Good luck to you. Ellen
  • newboobs
    newboobs Member Posts: 121
    I was 38 and premenopausal when dx. I had AC chemo and have been on TAM for almost 2.5 yrs. It's not bad- some aches and short hotflashes- but sure beats the alternative! Good Luck
  • PegN
    PegN Member Posts: 10
    newboobs said:

I was 38 and premenopausal when dx. I had AC chemo and have been on TAM for almost 2.5 yrs. It's not bad- some aches and short hotflashes- but sure beats the alternative! Good Luck

Thanks all of you gals that responded! I am feeling much better about this issue now! I sure appreciate your encouragement! (I really hope I can take the Tamoxifen; my biggest concern is losing my hair with the IV chemo! Yes, I am VAIN!)