Breast Cancer after Hodgkin's?

aliciastaley
aliciastaley Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone, My name is Alicia.

I was treated for HD in 1991 with a combination of radiation and chemo (ABVD). I was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer. IS there anyone else out there that's gone through the same thing? I'm trying to make some treatment decisions and am looking to correspond with others in my situation.

It's unfortunate that the treatment for HD might have caused this, but I'm optimistic that everything will be fine when the treatment is over.

Best regards,

Alicia S.

Comments

• jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    Alicia,
    I haven't gone thru this but since I see no answer to you as of this moment, I am surprised that your doctors did not tell you the only option for this as Hodgins' patients survive and live a long time now is mastectomy - no more radiation to the chest as you had it with the first disease. From what I've read, the results are very good as it is usually a local disease due to the radiation.

Good Luck!
    Jean
    You might click into google.com with"breast cancer after hodgkins"
  • Gramma44
    Gramma44 Member Posts: 28
    jeancmici said:

Alicia,
    I haven't gone thru this but since I see no answer to you as of this moment, I am surprised that your doctors did not tell you the only option for this as Hodgins' patients survive and live a long time now is mastectomy - no more radiation to the chest as you had it with the first disease. From what I've read, the results are very good as it is usually a local disease due to the radiation.

Good Luck!
    Jean
    You might click into google.com with"breast cancer after hodgkins"

I have a friend who had Hodgkins in college and breast cancer in her 50's. Just like jeanmcmici said,my friend also had to have a mastectomy because she couldn't have any more radiation and they wanted to be sure they got it. She is a four year survivor. Go for it and get it taken care of.
  • livelife86
    livelife86 Member Posts: 2
    Gramma44 said:

I have a friend who had Hodgkins in college and breast cancer in her 50's. Just like jeanmcmici said,my friend also had to have a mastectomy because she couldn't have any more radiation and they wanted to be sure they got it. She is a four year survivor. Go for it and get it taken care of.

radiotherapy
    Hi Just thought I would add my current experience. i had HL in 1989 and 2003, half mantle radiation in 1989 and ABVD in 2003. I now have grade 3 stage 3 breast cancer. I have had a mastectomy am having chemo but am also having some radiotherapy as there was no clear margin to the tissue that they removed.The initial plan was for no raditherapy. With my 2003 relapse of HL my tumours reduced by more than 50% but did not disapper- the decision was made to not radiate the main one as it was too near my spinal cord- these tumours have been in active since but one of them turned out to be breast cancer and was not treated or investigated as it wsa presumed that it was one of these inactive lymphoma sites- that had calcified. i have read about another person with a similar experience on this site. A prophylactic mastectomy is planned for the other side.
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member

radiotherapy
    Hi Just thought I would add my current experience. i had HL in 1989 and 2003, half mantle radiation in 1989 and ABVD in 2003. I now have grade 3 stage 3 breast cancer. I have had a mastectomy am having chemo but am also having some radiotherapy as there was no clear margin to the tissue that they removed.The initial plan was for no raditherapy. With my 2003 relapse of HL my tumours reduced by more than 50% but did not disapper- the decision was made to not radiate the main one as it was too near my spinal cord- these tumours have been in active since but one of them turned out to be breast cancer and was not treated or investigated as it wsa presumed that it was one of these inactive lymphoma sites- that had calcified. i have read about another person with a similar experience on this site. A prophylactic mastectomy is planned for the other side.

If anyone is looking for this type of info, checkout the Lymphoma boards on this site.

I too had HD in 1989 treated w/mantle radiation and again in 2004 treated w/ABVD. Invasive Ductual Carcinoma in 2008 treated by a double mastectomy. No radiation because of previous treatment. Stopped tamoxifen after 2 mos because of gyno issues. Anyone else living w/this diagnosis and no treatment for stage 1 breast cancer after Hodgkins?