Quick Question

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone experienced a sore throat while being on chemo? Bert is finishing up four months of 5fu/leuc and six months of 5fu/leuc with only two more treatments to go and from this last one that he received, his throat has been sore for three days...so bad that it is difficult for him to swallow. Today it is much better but I was just wondering if anyone else had this and if it is chemo related, why so late in the total protocol. Could it be that after his recent six week break that his body might be reacting as if it's his first one? Gosh, the questions just never seem to stop, do they?

Thanks much.
Monika

Comments

• kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Hi Monika and Bert,

Sorry about the sore throat. I did have some scratchiness in my throat. Perhaps Bert's soreness is similar to the mouth sores that people experience occasionally. I know that I had some minor mouth sores, scratchy throat among other side effects. Check with the onc. and there might be come type of gargle that will ease the discomfort. Being so late in treatment can be the accumulative effect of chemo as it builds up in the body. Usually side effects get stronger as the treatment goes on.

You and Bert are in my thoughts and prayers. It's almost over!!

Hugs,

Kerry
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm sorry...I realized after posting that I made a booboo...that's 4 months of 5fu/leuc and 6 months of 5fu/leuc/oxil....10 months total!

Monika :-)
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hi Monika, It is always something. My potassium and blood pressure are both diffficult to control right now. Luckily the sores I had in the corner of my mouth were noticed and treated by a dermatologist friend of mine. I had tried using the "swish and swallow" super mouth wash, which might be helpful for Bert. Does he have white patches or a white coating in his mouth or throat? If so it could be "thrush", which I had aftr surgery, and I think is a type of fungal infection. (He's not on Zestril or lisinopril for his blood pressure, is he? It can cause a sore throat and cough)
    I would keep pressing the onc and nurses for answers. It's just one more little thing that conspires to make us miserable.
    Good luck to Bert, Judy
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi Monica,

I have not had a sore throat while being on Folfox, but the accumulative effect of oxaliplatin can sometimes make the side effects more severe. I have had to wait three weeks between treatments due to low white blood counts. Hopefully, we both will be through with chemo soon.

Wishing you and Bert well,

Kay
  • allsmiles
    allsmiles Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Monika,
    There is something called miracle mouth. It is RX and you just swish and swallow it. It helps with mouth and throat sores. There is also an over the counter enzyme based mouth gargle called Biotene. You probably are already using the toothpaste. Best to you and yours.
    All smiles
  • beep
    beep Member Posts: 18
    Options
    My Dad had the mouth sores really bad, and the sore throat. He had both, thrush and the sores. They gave him a Diflucan perscription for the Thrush and then they gave him a spray called "hurricane" spray I believe is what it is called. It has a little straw, similar to the ones on WD-40 can to spray way it the back of your throat, and it REALLY helps. It does wear off, but if you spray it a few minutes before you eat, you can at least eat. It is very painful, and I'm sorry poor Bert has to go through those painful sores. The doctor also said to swish with warm water and baking soda or even hydrogen peroxide, I'm not sure if that is to help heal or to help the pain, but we didn't try that one becaues the spray helped. I hope the doc can give you something to fix it.

Lee Ann
  • Fitlisa
    Fitlisa Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Hi Monika and Bert,

Wow, I just love this...here I thought it was just me...I too have a very scratchy throat...I make this weird noise and my husband gives me a look but I am scratching my throat from the inside with the back of my tongue - very attractive sound I might add.

I havent had a sore throat per se, but I think the scratchiness must be somehow chemo related. I would be curious as to what his doctor thinks of this..nothing is too small to relate to them I am told so I tell everything now and let them decide what is relevant.
    Hope that helps a bit.

Lisa
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Fitlisa said:

Hi Monika and Bert,

Wow, I just love this...here I thought it was just me...I too have a very scratchy throat...I make this weird noise and my husband gives me a look but I am scratching my throat from the inside with the back of my tongue - very attractive sound I might add.

I havent had a sore throat per se, but I think the scratchiness must be somehow chemo related. I would be curious as to what his doctor thinks of this..nothing is too small to relate to them I am told so I tell everything now and let them decide what is relevant.
    Hope that helps a bit.

Lisa

A lot of that dry scratchy throat (doncha sometimes wish your tongue had little whiskers on it like a cat's - so much better for scratching one's throat, eh?) can be caused by being dehydrated - make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids - preferrably water. And, if Emily is reading, water that is preferrably organic/no minerals added/fresh from some 3,000 year old artesian spring located in a secret valley near Katmandu, Nepal watched over by a loyal order of monks dressed in tea-dyed orange robes who have never touched meat in their entire life. I'm sure that water wouldn't be nearly as expensive a gasoline right now...

Bottoms up!

- SB
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    spongebob said:

A lot of that dry scratchy throat (doncha sometimes wish your tongue had little whiskers on it like a cat's - so much better for scratching one's throat, eh?) can be caused by being dehydrated - make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids - preferrably water. And, if Emily is reading, water that is preferrably organic/no minerals added/fresh from some 3,000 year old artesian spring located in a secret valley near Katmandu, Nepal watched over by a loyal order of monks dressed in tea-dyed orange robes who have never touched meat in their entire life. I'm sure that water wouldn't be nearly as expensive a gasoline right now...

Bottoms up!

- SB

Hiya Monika n Bert.I had mouth ulcers and the 'ol throat got pretty dry and a very odd sore throat--I thought that horrid "metallic" taste had a lot to do with it.
    I was warned about the possibility of thrush but never got it.
    I hope the sore throat is not a precurser to a cold---I was told to buy a digital thermometer(OK--Spongebob--know what yer gunna say--no---not a rectal thermometer--he he!)
    My clinic nurses warned me about getting a high temperature with immune system getting so weak--it is hard while on chemo to decide if some of the bad feelings were due to an infection so I regularly checked my temperature if I felt a bit "off"
    2 TO GO BERT!!!!!!!Won't be long mate--hang in there!
    luv kanga n Jen

PS--I found a wee nip o wiskey good for tha throat SpongeBob---not recommended on chemo tho yu understand--he he !