Mammograms AFTER Reconstruction

tootie
tootie Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have a question for everybody.After reconstruction with implants have any of you had mammograms?Ive been told by several they didnt have mammos after implants.I had reconstruction with tissue expanders,then silicone implants about 3 months ago.Im confused,My onocoligist said I didnt need a mammogram but my surgeon wants me to have one.The idea of a mammogram busting these implants scares me to death but the idea of having cancer return scares me too.So whats the answer?Does everybody get them or just some or what?Help please.

Comments

• mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Hello Ladies,
    I have seen medical cable programs and I believe there is a machine being developed if not already in use, that is similar to the Virtual Body Endoscopy. It is non-invasive, and is able to see through breasts without squishing them. I could be wrong, but I am almost positive I have seen that type of technology on the medical tv journals. Has anyone else seen this?
    -Michael
    leukemia survivor
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    I cannot have mammograms now, I had a double tram flap. But, you still have breast cells and tissue that can develop cancer, so my oncologist says that I will probably have MRIs annually to replace the mammogram. And, I have heard of the other machine that was mentioned. It is scary to think that I have no breasts but, can still get breast cancer.
  • tootie
    tootie Member Posts: 4

I cannot have mammograms now, I had a double tram flap. But, you still have breast cells and tissue that can develop cancer, so my oncologist says that I will probably have MRIs annually to replace the mammogram. And, I have heard of the other machine that was mentioned. It is scary to think that I have no breasts but, can still get breast cancer.

You bet its scarry to think that we now have no breast but still can get cancer.Its real scarry.I thought that after a double mastectomy I wouldnt have to worry thats why I chose it. I might ask my doc about a MRI and see what he says.
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    tootie said:

You bet its scarry to think that we now have no breast but still can get cancer.Its real scarry.I thought that after a double mastectomy I wouldnt have to worry thats why I chose it. I might ask my doc about a MRI and see what he says.

My breast cancer never showed on mammograms that were taken every six months from June of 1999 through the time of diagnosis in January of 2003, at which point it still did not show on the films or on sonogram.
  • Sometimes they can do a mammogram - my current radiologist was really gentle and careful and she was able to move the implant enough to do a mammogram, however the first few years after implant the doc recommended an MRI> If the implant is too tight to move, they will do an MRI. I have noticed on Medscape.com that the implant manufacturers recommend an MRI because of the danger of rupture, so guess it depends on the circumstances.
    Clara