Taking a closer look at soy

Options
mjdp2
mjdp2 Member Posts: 133
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Today's LA Times say some want FDA approval of soy as an anti-cancer health claim. I strongly feel soy DOES NOT prevent cancer. I am asian and had eaten moderate amounts of tofu before being diagnosed 6 years ago. Some oncologists have even spoken to my support group and said to avoid soy if you were estrogen receptor postive. If you feel the same, please email me at mjdp2@yahoo.com

My intuition makes me feel that since so many manufacturers are putting soy into their products there will be a higher incidence of breast cancer.
My blood boils when I pass a food demo/sampler making the claim that their soy product will prevent cancer. Please let me hear from you.
Thanks,
Margaret in Palos Verdes California

Comments

• cathdavis
    cathdavis Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Margaret, I'm estrogen + and avoid soy at all costs! You're right, there are a lot of products with soy in them. I always look very carefully at the ingredients. I agree with you.
    Cathy in FL
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi Margaret:

I was not hormone positive but my oncologist, surgeon and gyn have all advised me to avoid soy products. Reason being that soy has an estrogen effect in the body and therefore, not a good idea for those of us with a breast cancer history. Many women use soy to help alleviate some of the symptoms of menopause and perhaps they and their doctors are not aware of the indications? (My team has also advised against products containing any phytoestrogens (plant estrogens, such as Red Clover, etc.)for the same reasons.

Regarding soy products touted as "preventing cancer": I rather doubt those claims but everyone must come to their own conclusions about any product marketed to "prevent" cancer or anything else. Caution is needed. I mean, who do you see about a refund or complaint when it clearly fails.

Certainly your own personal experience with soy products would seem to dispell claims that soy prevents cancer.

My bottom line philosophy is that we must eat as healthy as possible, with a wide variety of fruits and veggies (certified organic when possible), take a good, reputable vitamin and mineral supplement, get regular exercise, focus on reducing our stress levels, get plenty of fresh air, engage in a variety of activities which interest and fulfill us, then love and laugh like there's no tomorrow! No big secrets, no magical cures, nothing difficult or phemomenal. Just the basics. Sometimes, we get caught up and too busy and may need to remind ourselves of the basics nature provided in order for us to live fully and happily. How much marketing/consumerism can we tolerate, really? That's the tough part...slowing down, turning down the noise and just living.

We have everything super "fast track" anymore. Products coming out of the woodwork at us...buy this, use that, get the latest, greatest
    "convenience" items which are typically over priced. If we believe the infomercials and designers of these products, they're absolutely "must haves" and there's always an appearance by "doctor's" or "scientists' who make a brief statement to reinforce claims about the product but if we listen carefully, they really offer no substantiation, no documented trials or studies, etc.. Just more empty touting.

Most of us here know too well how our cancer can be exploited for huge profits. So many prey upon our condition and fears. Many sell nothing more
    than "snake oil" which they say "cures" cancer.
    The updated version, of course, which packs so called "greens" and the like into very pricey bottles, together with some outlandish claims and there you have it. I say: Prove it! We must vigilently guard against falling prey to such tactics, designed purely for profit, by those motivated by greed, lacking that nicety known as conscience.

The FDA's sum total of protection, afforded us, from quackery and fraud in this realm, amounts to a small disclaimer on "food supplements" stating that they have not evaluated the product,etc.. Until they step up to the plate and EVALUATE these products, we're on our own and must do our own research and fact finding as best we can.

We even have to watch our doctor's as some of them can seem to approach us with dollar signs dancing in their eyes. Quakcery can disguise itself in some very unlikely places. Caution is the word of the day...EVERY day, when the health of our families and ourselves is at stake.

Sorry. I got onto a bit of a rant there!

Thanks for your post. I think it highlights some of the pitfalls we can encounter in our cancer experiences, which helps us all to become more cautious and careful in our approach to daily health and well being.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • EllenM6246
    EllenM6246 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    inkblot said:

Hi Margaret:

I was not hormone positive but my oncologist, surgeon and gyn have all advised me to avoid soy products. Reason being that soy has an estrogen effect in the body and therefore, not a good idea for those of us with a breast cancer history. Many women use soy to help alleviate some of the symptoms of menopause and perhaps they and their doctors are not aware of the indications? (My team has also advised against products containing any phytoestrogens (plant estrogens, such as Red Clover, etc.)for the same reasons.

Regarding soy products touted as "preventing cancer": I rather doubt those claims but everyone must come to their own conclusions about any product marketed to "prevent" cancer or anything else. Caution is needed. I mean, who do you see about a refund or complaint when it clearly fails.

Certainly your own personal experience with soy products would seem to dispell claims that soy prevents cancer.

My bottom line philosophy is that we must eat as healthy as possible, with a wide variety of fruits and veggies (certified organic when possible), take a good, reputable vitamin and mineral supplement, get regular exercise, focus on reducing our stress levels, get plenty of fresh air, engage in a variety of activities which interest and fulfill us, then love and laugh like there's no tomorrow! No big secrets, no magical cures, nothing difficult or phemomenal. Just the basics. Sometimes, we get caught up and too busy and may need to remind ourselves of the basics nature provided in order for us to live fully and happily. How much marketing/consumerism can we tolerate, really? That's the tough part...slowing down, turning down the noise and just living.

We have everything super "fast track" anymore. Products coming out of the woodwork at us...buy this, use that, get the latest, greatest
    "convenience" items which are typically over priced. If we believe the infomercials and designers of these products, they're absolutely "must haves" and there's always an appearance by "doctor's" or "scientists' who make a brief statement to reinforce claims about the product but if we listen carefully, they really offer no substantiation, no documented trials or studies, etc.. Just more empty touting.

Most of us here know too well how our cancer can be exploited for huge profits. So many prey upon our condition and fears. Many sell nothing more
    than "snake oil" which they say "cures" cancer.
    The updated version, of course, which packs so called "greens" and the like into very pricey bottles, together with some outlandish claims and there you have it. I say: Prove it! We must vigilently guard against falling prey to such tactics, designed purely for profit, by those motivated by greed, lacking that nicety known as conscience.

The FDA's sum total of protection, afforded us, from quackery and fraud in this realm, amounts to a small disclaimer on "food supplements" stating that they have not evaluated the product,etc.. Until they step up to the plate and EVALUATE these products, we're on our own and must do our own research and fact finding as best we can.

We even have to watch our doctor's as some of them can seem to approach us with dollar signs dancing in their eyes. Quakcery can disguise itself in some very unlikely places. Caution is the word of the day...EVERY day, when the health of our families and ourselves is at stake.

Sorry. I got onto a bit of a rant there!

Thanks for your post. I think it highlights some of the pitfalls we can encounter in our cancer experiences, which helps us all to become more cautious and careful in our approach to daily health and well being.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink

Well said Ink!! Feel free to "rant" anytime!! Ellen
  • krisrey
    krisrey Member Posts: 194
    Options
    Hi Margaret,
    I had no idea that I should stay away from soy products. I was also just told yesterday that if you are on tamoxifen you should NOT have soy products...hence being the estrogen postive.
    What kind of products should I watch out for that may contain soy?
    Thanks for sharing this information...why the heck don't the doctors tell you this stuff??????
    Kris
  • minnie112256
    minnie112256 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi I am estrogen receptor positive and I read recently that soy is not good for me. I was eating a lot of it because I heard that in prevented Cancer but the article I read said to avoid it if you are estrogen receptor positive