Exercises after mastectomy

Ronee33
Ronee33 Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all,
I had a bilateral mastectomy at the end of February. Everything is going well but I still feel like I have that sunken in chest look. Are there any women out there that chose not to have reconstruction done and know about exercises that I could do to build up the chest muscles? I'd just like to have a shirt not indent on me when I'm wearing it.
Thanks!!

Comments

• sassysally
    sassysally Member Posts: 150
    Ronne, It takes awhile for your chest to not have that sunken look. It all depends on how far they have to cut down. Although for me, scrubbing floors on your hands and knees helped with that and also stretches out the muscles in your arms for better mobility there. Give your chest some time.... it may take a couple years for your chest to bounce back to flat. Hang in there. You may want to ask your doctor if they know of any. Small weight ( when YOU can) can be helpful if you do flies. aka.. Into your chest bending at the elbow and then stretched out to the sides of your body straight . Hope this help.
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Hi Ronnee33:

I didn't have mastectomy...lumpectomy with Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection. Naturally I had less tissue to heal but I'd highly recommend the gentle stretching of traditional Hatha Yoga. It helped me tremendously in restoring range of motion and healing time, not to mention the benefits of stress reduction and increased, whole body oxygenation. May be worth checking out.
    There are tapes and CD's avail. for home use, in addition to some very good books, with diagrams, if you're not excited about going out to a class.
    You can find these in most larger book sellers such as Barnes & Nobles, etc.. Also you can go to www.wailana.com or www.yogazone.com The latter being a bit less traditional.

Good luck and continued good health.

Love,light and laughter,
    Ink
  • Snookums
    Snookums Member Posts: 148
    inkblot said:

Hi Ronnee33:

I didn't have mastectomy...lumpectomy with Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection. Naturally I had less tissue to heal but I'd highly recommend the gentle stretching of traditional Hatha Yoga. It helped me tremendously in restoring range of motion and healing time, not to mention the benefits of stress reduction and increased, whole body oxygenation. May be worth checking out.
    There are tapes and CD's avail. for home use, in addition to some very good books, with diagrams, if you're not excited about going out to a class.
    You can find these in most larger book sellers such as Barnes & Nobles, etc.. Also you can go to www.wailana.com or www.yogazone.com The latter being a bit less traditional.

Good luck and continued good health.

Love,light and laughter,
    Ink

If you will ask I bet your oncologist could get you time with a OT or PT as part of your recovery. I had a minor amount of swelling in my hand and boom- I was in to see someone to help prevent lymphadema but- it really helped strengthen my arm and chest. It was great for flexibility as well. it won't hurt to ask and insurance picked up my tab! Good Luck- C
  • sarajane
    sarajane Member Posts: 22
    I had a bilateral about 15 months ago and at the 6 month point ask for a referral to a physical therapist or exercise specilist so i could get more arm strenghth back. It does help..Mine was an exercise physiologist and he showed me what gym machines I could safely use and how to adjust them so as not to build up bulk but help keeep muscle strenghth. Also i found the more aI did simple thingslike cleaning the more it seemed to help. Get some "falsies" that you are comfortable with wearing and a good bra with a lightweight insert and soon you will feel better again. A volunteer from reach to recovery told me also toplay us my good features(face legs or whatever you can find) and put on a smile and most people will not notice your changes...It tyakes time but once you discoveer you are a survivor you can handle anything...be well that is all that truly matters..
  • hounddog
    hounddog Member Posts: 115
    It is important to do arm exercises to get the strength back in you r arm because if you don't you wont have the use of your arm. I know it might hurt but very important .
    marilyn