to all the mom's...

littlejulie
littlejulie Member Posts: 311
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I wish you all a VERY HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! Enjoy this weekend - I hope you have better weather than me in Toronto. It's gonna rain all weekend.
Happy Mother's Day!!

julie

Comments

• vanser
    vanser Member Posts: 100 Member
    Hi Julie -

I had no idea that you are from Toronto - so am I! (I follow your posting, because my mom has also been diagnosed with Stage III, I am 27 years old and having a very difficult time dealing with it)

Perhaps we can trade war stories - My mom was treated by Dr. Ross at Women's College (which is part of Sunnybrook Hospital) She received her radiation and chemo at Sunnybrook.
    We love her surgeon - he has a fantastic bedside manner and is always willing to answer our questions.
    Where is your mom being treated?
  • littlejulie
    vanser said:

Hi Julie -

I had no idea that you are from Toronto - so am I! (I follow your posting, because my mom has also been diagnosed with Stage III, I am 27 years old and having a very difficult time dealing with it)

Perhaps we can trade war stories - My mom was treated by Dr. Ross at Women's College (which is part of Sunnybrook Hospital) She received her radiation and chemo at Sunnybrook.
    We love her surgeon - he has a fantastic bedside manner and is always willing to answer our questions.
    Where is your mom being treated?

i sent you a email through the network. i gave you my personal email to email me directly - I would LOVE to talk :) my mom is being treated at sunnybrook too!! are you being treated by dr. davey?
  • vanser
    vanser Member Posts: 100 Member

i sent you a email through the network. i gave you my personal email to email me directly - I would LOVE to talk :) my mom is being treated at sunnybrook too!! are you being treated by dr. davey?

Hi Julie -

What a small world...

Anyway - When you mentioned that you sent me your email via the network, I am not sure how I can actually retrieve that - do I have an email box somewhere?? (I am totally out to lunch when it comes to this stuff) I would love to get your email to chat about a few things.

Anyways, my mom's chemo oncologist at Sunnybrook was Dr. Berry and the radiation oncologist was Dr. Chan...

We are going to see Dr. Berry on Tues. regarding further chemo treatment. Do you know what kind of chemo your mom is getting?? I have noticed on these boards that the treatment in the US seems to be far more aggressive (use of Avastin, etc.) than at Sunnybrooke, where they are using the standard 5fu/lev..
  • grandma047
    grandma047 Member Posts: 381
    Happy Mother's Day to you(don't know if you told us if you were a mother) and especially to your mom. Hope she is doing ok. We are having great weather here in West Virginia. My children have already given me my cards and gifts. I told them the cards would be sufficient but you can't tell them. My daughter and I are going to have a ball tomorrow. She got me a complete makeover for mother's day and she is going with me too. We are having hair cut, wash, style, facial and pedicure. Then we are hitting the mall, then dinner, then a movie. I hope I don't get too tired. But.....I'm ready to enjoy myself as much as possible before surgery on the 20th. Love ya and i am praying for you and your mom.
    HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO EVERYONE!!!!
    Love and prayers, Judy H.
  • littlejulie
    msg to vanser
    you have email access on this network. browse through the network and im sure you'll find it. i emailed you a couple weeks ago when you replied to my depressed email : ) no wonder why you never responded. if we dont talk this weekend we will soon. i dont have a computer at home - i think im the only person in toronto who doesn't have a computer. i use valuable work time to check the network. have a great weekend and we'll talk soon. im looking SO forward to talk to you. maybe we can even meet at sunnybrook or something.

julie :)
    those poor maple leafs - are they ever going to win?!
  • alihamilton
    alihamilton Member Posts: 347 Member
    vanser said:

Hi Julie -

What a small world...

Anyway - When you mentioned that you sent me your email via the network, I am not sure how I can actually retrieve that - do I have an email box somewhere?? (I am totally out to lunch when it comes to this stuff) I would love to get your email to chat about a few things.

Anyways, my mom's chemo oncologist at Sunnybrook was Dr. Berry and the radiation oncologist was Dr. Chan...

We are going to see Dr. Berry on Tues. regarding further chemo treatment. Do you know what kind of chemo your mom is getting?? I have noticed on these boards that the treatment in the US seems to be far more aggressive (use of Avastin, etc.) than at Sunnybrooke, where they are using the standard 5fu/lev..

Your comment on treatment in Canada interested me as here in The Bahamas too, the standard treatment for stage 111 is 5Fu/leukovorin. Also in the UK though there are some thoughts there now about adding to the mix. I asked my husband's oncologist about it and he said the stronger meds are for Stage 1V. I think the feeling is that if you can be treated with the standard meds, it is better to avoid the others just in case they are needed later on. The other side of the argument must be that if you treat aggressively, then there should not be a recurrence. Trouble is that if you are treated with the heavier stuff right off and it does not work....there is not much left to try.

Shows how much we have to trust the judgement of our oncologists...especially here as we really only have one!!