Hair Regrowth?

Options
Birdsgirl
Birdsgirl Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all, I finished chemo on April 16 and I will be starting radiation next week. I was wondering if radiation will inhibit my hair growth? and also wondering about how long it will take for my hair to grow to a point where I don't have to wear a wig anymore?

Comments

• nancyeob
    nancyeob Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Congratulations for finishing your Chemo! Radiation didn't have any effect on my hair growth but everyone receives different treatment. Hair growth will happen before you know it and the styles are so whatever you want now, it's to our advantage. Very short is in. But the real answer is whenever you are comfortable, go for it!
    Good luck, Nancy
  • SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    Options
    Hi there. Has your hair already started to grow back? Not sure where you live, but I'm sure you won't want to wear the wig when it gets real hot. For me, from total baldness to a decent amount of hair was about two months. Everyone's experience will be different so go with what feels comfortable for you. If you're comfortable with it, then others will be as well. Congrats on being done with chemo! Good luck with radiation.
    Susan
  • scorpiox55
    scorpiox55 Member Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing chemo! That's great! I know it was the best day of my life! As for the hair, I am 6 months out of chemo and I only have an inch! Still wearing the darn wig! It is getting real HOT here in Georgia, too! It is almost long enough I guess, but not quite! I just don't understand why it is taking SSSOOOOO long! JoAnne
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My last chemo treatment was August 11, and I stopped wearing a wig two months later because I could not stand it anymore. It took until February to have the amount of hair required to pass as a very short haircut... 6 months. Now I have to giggle when it gets "unruly." It is still quite short, really... can almost make a pathetic wee ponytail that looks more like a piglet's corkscrew tail.
    Hugs,
    Denise
  • Birdsgirl
    Options

Congratulations on finishing chemo! That's great! I know it was the best day of my life! As for the hair, I am 6 months out of chemo and I only have an inch! Still wearing the darn wig! It is getting real HOT here in Georgia, too! It is almost long enough I guess, but not quite! I just don't understand why it is taking SSSOOOOO long! JoAnne

Hi JoAnne, I am in Georgia as well. I live in Dallas Georgia, about 30 miles west of Atlanta. Where do you live? I know what you mean about the heat and wearing this stupid wig. Especially since I have hot flashes as well, because chemo put me into menopause. My hair has started to grow, but still not quite filled in enough for me to feel comfortable enough to go without the wig yet, soon I hope. Thanks for the info.

Penny
  • scorpiox55
    scorpiox55 Member Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Birdsgirl said:

Hi JoAnne, I am in Georgia as well. I live in Dallas Georgia, about 30 miles west of Atlanta. Where do you live? I know what you mean about the heat and wearing this stupid wig. Especially since I have hot flashes as well, because chemo put me into menopause. My hair has started to grow, but still not quite filled in enough for me to feel comfortable enough to go without the wig yet, soon I hope. Thanks for the info.

Penny

Hi Penny....Would you believe I am in your backyard? I live in Kennesaw! We are neighbors!! JoAnne
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Finishing chemo was such a big deal for me. My last treatment was May 8, 2003. I bought a wig before starting but never wore it. Found myself more comfortable with a doo wrap or ball cap. It seemed my hair would never come back but I did have short soft fuzz by summer. In October, I went for my first postchemo trim, just around the ears and in the back so it looked more like a stylish short haircut. The trim actually seemed to encourage more growth and I've been going every 5 weeks since then. Getting rid of the wig is a very personal issue. Some women aren't comfortable taking it off till they have sufficient hair to style while others put on some large hoop earrings, toss on a pair of stylish sunglasses and add a little gel for the spiked look. I can still remember how free I felt the first day I actually went without scarf or ball cap. Good luck on your transition!
    terri
  • Birdsgirl
    Options

Hi Penny....Would you believe I am in your backyard? I live in Kennesaw! We are neighbors!! JoAnne

Oh wow! My sister lives in Kennesaw. She lives in a subdivision off hwy 41. You'll have to write to me on my regular email address, so that we can get better acquainted. Nice to have another survivor so close. My email address is pbreneman@deloitte.com talk to you soon I hope.

Penny
  • billandpatty
    billandpatty Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I finished chemo in July of 2000 and went out in public for the first time with no ball cap on in November 2000 to my nephew's wedding ... it took me about 4 mos. to look like I had some hair. (I didn't ever wear a wig because I lost my hair during a heat wave of 115 degrees and decided that I wouldn't survive the summer in a wig + the chemo!)

I found that my hair has kept changing what it does ever since, so my hairdresser has tried to keep me happy by adapting to what my hair is doing (it came back in very curly and is relaxing more and more lately) -- it's finally getting back to my "normal" hair. I wear it pretty short (tried growing it out, but it just stuck out and was like a bush on my head).

Congratulations on completing chemo ... it's quite a milestone in your life isn't it?!!! ...radiation should be a piece of cake for you, good luck.

Patty