Post Surgery- Bladder distention

ReeladyD
ReeladyD Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Bladder Cancer #1
My husband had neo-bladder reconstructive surgery May 2003. He has been doing extremely well. Just recently he developed a problem with the bladder becoming extremely distended, and over several days was not able to urinate normally at all. He is currently being treated with meds and self cath. several times daily. He is very discouraged. Has anyone had this problem post surgery? He has no regrets about the surgery at all, just very concerned about this recent problem. Thanks Dorothy

Comments

• Shaydie
    Shaydie Member Posts: 4
    Hi Dorothy! We found that bladder distention occurred when the bladder isn't emptying fully. Steve was told to put the flat of his palm on his lower abdomen and gently push. This new bladder isn't a muscle like the original one, so does not respond to "muscle signals". How long has it been since the surgery and did he get training on how to empty? Some swelling is normal, but I'd check it with the doctor (which you seem to have done) just to be on the safe side. Takes a while for the abdomen to get back to normal, though, so don't be in too much of a rush, ok? Sending love and prayers to you both!
  • ReeladyD
    ReeladyD Member Posts: 7
    Shaydie said:

Hi Dorothy! We found that bladder distention occurred when the bladder isn't emptying fully. Steve was told to put the flat of his palm on his lower abdomen and gently push. This new bladder isn't a muscle like the original one, so does not respond to "muscle signals". How long has it been since the surgery and did he get training on how to empty? Some swelling is normal, but I'd check it with the doctor (which you seem to have done) just to be on the safe side. Takes a while for the abdomen to get back to normal, though, so don't be in too much of a rush, ok? Sending love and prayers to you both!

hi shaydie-thanks for ans.my post. We just found out he has a ventral hernia in the pelvic area and a small part of the bladder appears to be in the hernia. This could be the problem. Still very discouraged tho.