Basic radiation questions

Options
Watercolor
Watercolor Member Posts: 45
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was lucky. In November '02 I was diagnosed with only DCIS / stage 0. Had lumpectomy, 33 radiation treatments (last five were the boost), and am on Tamoxifen.

Prior to radiation starting went to a few support group meetings. One woman was having a problem with radiation -- oozing blisters (?) and having a problem getting them healed. I was expecting problems like that, etc. Well, I had virtually none. My skin got a little red and dry -- no itching or soreness. (No fatigue either.) That was it. My rad/onc said I didn't need to come back for post-treatment check-up by him.

What is the norm for reaction to radiation? Because I had only DCIS / stage 0, did I get lower "dose" radiation than most (except for the boost)?

I've had some medical problems through the years, but seem very lucky when it comes to treatment, side effects, etc. No additional problems with it all. KNOCK-ON-WOOD. Mary D.

Comments

• sassysally
    sassysally Member Posts: 150
    Options
    H20, you probably did get a lower dose than most. Blistering and raw is the norm. After that many doses, your chest becomes like a piece of raw meat. It is hard to wear anything. The best thing to wear is cotton. Also, prior to radiation, they tell most to use lots of aloe gel that the radation therapists usually provide. Consider yourself blessed....Raw and red is no picnic.
  • Watercolor
    Options

H20, you probably did get a lower dose than most. Blistering and raw is the norm. After that many doses, your chest becomes like a piece of raw meat. It is hard to wear anything. The best thing to wear is cotton. Also, prior to radiation, they tell most to use lots of aloe gel that the radation therapists usually provide. Consider yourself blessed....Raw and red is no picnic.

Thanks, Sally. Been wondering about that. I wore cotton T-shirts during the whole time (still am -- comfortable). And I used aloe gel faithfully four times per day.

It scares me. I've been so lucky through the years with problems I have had. Sometimes I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Mary D.
  • sassysally
    sassysally Member Posts: 150
    Options

Thanks, Sally. Been wondering about that. I wore cotton T-shirts during the whole time (still am -- comfortable). And I used aloe gel faithfully four times per day.

It scares me. I've been so lucky through the years with problems I have had. Sometimes I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Mary D.

H20, dont you worry about those shoes.. I prefer to go barefoot!!!!!! LOLOL Keep smilin"
  • Watercolor
    Options

H20, dont you worry about those shoes.. I prefer to go barefoot!!!!!! LOLOL Keep smilin"

I'll be barefoot for a week in May. Seaside, FL -- 40 miles west of Panama City. The most beautiful beaches on the Gulf coast in the Panhandle.
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary:

I too had lumpectomy (and chemo) followed by 37 rads. Fortunately I had no major difficulties with the radiation. I did get some little bumps about midway through the course but they healed. They were sort of like teeny pimples...about a dozen of them total. I told the doc. He gave me Aquaphor which made my skin itch incredibly. I couldn't wash it off quickly enough! (Back to my pure aloe regimen, thank you) The bumps went away about a week later and no further problems.

My rad onc. follow up visits have been:
    Every 6 months for the first two years.
    Then to once yearly until 5 years have passed.
    (I'm currently @ the 3 year mark, so only 2 more yearly check ups with this guy and I'm done!!!)

My mammo's were every 6 months for the first two years as well. Now yearly on that.

I think some of what's advised re check ups, depends upon where one lives and what's customary in that region. My rad onc says that he's mainly just monitoring the healing process (which can take 2 years for everything to settle completely from rads). He always asks if I've experienced any tenderness or soreness in the radiated area and palpates the breast and axilla carefully on that side. He also feels my liver and tummy, listens to my heart and lungs and checks BP. Some chit chat while he makes notes and we're done. It's typically a quick visit without a lot of ado.

What is your follow up schedule with your surgeon? Mine is still at every 6 months and he looks at my latest mammo films then as well. He also does a very thorough exam of both breasts and axilla's.

Have you asked your rad onc. if you did indeed have a lower dosage of radiation? This would be good info to have just so you know exactly what you got. If no follow up is indicated, then be happy that you've got one less doc to see regularly! The less visits I can have, the more I like it.

Stay well.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • krisrey
    krisrey Member Posts: 194
    Options
    Hi Watercolor,
    I am stage II and had 35 rads that ended in December. I had absolutely NO skin problems at all, except the last 8 boost I did get a little tender in just that spot. I used the aquafor right from the start. I think different people react differently to radiation. I did not experience much tiredness either, except for the fact my appt were at 7am everyday..LOL I am very thankful that I feared so well.
  • Watercolor
    Options
    inkblot said:

Hi Mary:

I too had lumpectomy (and chemo) followed by 37 rads. Fortunately I had no major difficulties with the radiation. I did get some little bumps about midway through the course but they healed. They were sort of like teeny pimples...about a dozen of them total. I told the doc. He gave me Aquaphor which made my skin itch incredibly. I couldn't wash it off quickly enough! (Back to my pure aloe regimen, thank you) The bumps went away about a week later and no further problems.

My rad onc. follow up visits have been:
    Every 6 months for the first two years.
    Then to once yearly until 5 years have passed.
    (I'm currently @ the 3 year mark, so only 2 more yearly check ups with this guy and I'm done!!!)

My mammo's were every 6 months for the first two years as well. Now yearly on that.

I think some of what's advised re check ups, depends upon where one lives and what's customary in that region. My rad onc says that he's mainly just monitoring the healing process (which can take 2 years for everything to settle completely from rads). He always asks if I've experienced any tenderness or soreness in the radiated area and palpates the breast and axilla carefully on that side. He also feels my liver and tummy, listens to my heart and lungs and checks BP. Some chit chat while he makes notes and we're done. It's typically a quick visit without a lot of ado.

What is your follow up schedule with your surgeon? Mine is still at every 6 months and he looks at my latest mammo films then as well. He also does a very thorough exam of both breasts and axilla's.

Have you asked your rad onc. if you did indeed have a lower dosage of radiation? This would be good info to have just so you know exactly what you got. If no follow up is indicated, then be happy that you've got one less doc to see regularly! The less visits I can have, the more I like it.

Stay well.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink

Hi Ink,

I'm having some follow-up for two years, but not as much as you. As I said, because I faired (sp?) so well with rads, rad/onc said I did not even need to come back for two-week post check-up. No further follow-up with him. No follow-up appointments with surgeon after lumpectomy (except for one week after). But after rads ended, he did instruct me to have semi-annual mammos for two years (unilateral / bilateral / unilateral / bilateral) and a breast exam done by any doctor every three - four months for two years. I did see chemo doctor for an "official" statement that I didn't need chemo. (Surgeon didn't think I would, but he wanted an "official no". I will see her annually though for five years because she is the only M.D. who will write prescription for Tamoxifen. She does a breast exam when I see her. That's it. I'm happy to say I like all my doctors -- except my current gyn. My wonderful gyn retired (at an early age) a few years ago already.