Post mastectomy

maplegrnny
maplegrnny Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone developed Lymphedema? My daughter suddenly developed swelling in her affected arm 5 months post op. She is going for her final chemo next week. 4 doses of adriamycin and cytoxin and 4 of Taxol. The 3rd Taxol treatment has really taken all the wind out of her. She is not bouncing back as quickly. Tomorrow she is going for blood work. She has not slept and is very tired. Her body hurts everywhere. The numbness and tingling in her hands and feet are controled with meds. Today she said she experienced lights flashing--I am thinking her blood count must be down. So far her counts have been within the norms. She is 34 and being very brave. Any suggestions.

Comments

• DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    She just has one more treatment to go, and the way she feels right now is pretty "normal" after the cumulative effect of the first 7 treatments. Many of us wake up with tight fingers or funny sensation in the upper arm that resolves over the course of the day with ordinary activity, but there are physical therapists who specialize in treatment of lymphadema. I'm sorry for what you are both going through right now.
    Love,
    Denise
  • cookie3346
    cookie3346 Member Posts: 4
    Hopefully your daughter has had her arm checked for lymphedema by her doctor. This is a possibility. What I want to address is the "lights flashing" that she experienced. Just after I finished my chemo treatments, I also saw lights flashing which at first I ignored, however, it continued so I called my eye doctor who got me in immediately because it was the beginning of vitreous/retinal detachment which thankfully abated without any serious problems. I have black spots in right eye now. I believe that it was directly related to chemo because it started so soon after last tx. Please have her see an eye doctor if this continues.