medullary b.c. and masectomy?

Options
minou
minou Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a 9 year survivor amd my sister was just diagnosed with medullary b.c. wants to know how many opt for a mascetomy and chemo with no radiation, or a lump with both chemo and radiation ? Anyone with personal experience would be greatly appreciated. She goes in tomm. for surgery.

Comments

• jhope
    jhope Member Posts: 58
    Options
    This is spooky!!! Did you know less than 3% of breast cancer is medullary? The thing about medullary cancer it is often linked to BRAC1 or 2 gene, depends on your family history of cancer. Mine was positive for history, but my insurance refused to pay for genetic testing... so. If it would have came back positive I would have had a double masectomy, and hysterectomy, serious stuff. Since I couldn't get testing, I opted for lumpectomy. Research has shown that in many breast cancers, you survival rate is not higher with mastectomy.

Some people feel safer with mastectomy. I had a lumpectomy, didn't get clear margins. Had another lumpectomy, did sentinal node testing (YOU need to have this done) and as consequences had all lymphnodes removed, chemo, radiation, etc. I have only had one recheckup so far. Will have Cat scans every 3 months, mamograms, blood work for 5 years.

Medullary is in top 3rd AGGRESSIVE cancers known. Please feel free to email if any more questions. God Bless you and your family, Julia