Prozac and Alchohol

annh7
annh7 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My Doctor prescribed Prozac today for hot flashes, I do have at least 3 mixed drinks per night so I can sleep.. Please advise me as to what to do next.......... I have no problem with not drinking..... JUST NEED SOME SLEEP!!!!!!!! Will Prozac Help me sleep? AND Function througout the day????????//

Comments

• SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    Hi annh7. I'm not sure about the Prozac helping you sleep but if it doesn't, why not ask for a non-addictive sleeping pill. I never took a sedative before, but when I was getting weekly taxol with the steriods, I needed something to help me sleep the night of each treatment. It worked for me.
    Susan
  • sevey
    sevey Member Posts: 184
    Hello,
    My name is Cathy & I have'nt been around in a long while because of my own problems>{surgery twice} but I do not understand the reasoning that your Dr used by prescribing prozac & I do know that it should not be mixed with alcohol. When I first had all my female organs down there removed I was given premarin for hot flashes & I also take sedatives... Since I am pretty well versed on meds & side effects; I do know that alcohol is not good at all especially when taken in conjunction with all the meds that comes with the territory..... I really think you should talk to your Dr or even a pharmicist about taking prozac for hot flashes.... This is not coming from a mean place but it shocks me at times that Drs give a med that has nothing to do with hot flashes such as prozac!!!!! To me that sounds illogical & does not make sense... Prozac is a anti-depressant & comes with a host of side affects>>>> Please get another opinion or question your DR that prescribed it to you in the first place. I know that both chemo & radiation can create hot flashes as well as having a complete hystorectomy>>>>>> I don't think prozac will help you sleep & I don't believe it should be mixed with alcohol since it is a phsycotropic med to keep depression in check... Please get another opinion quickly & see if you can get a sleeping aide besides the alcohol. I am not saying that you cannot drink, but with alcohol added it makes a lot of meds we take create a synergistic affect which means 1+1=3>>> In otherwords it can cause some very severe side affects. I will pray for you & hope that you follow up with your Dr as far as prescribing prozac for hot flashes..... I have never heard of any Dr prescribing this particular med for anything besides depression...
    God Bless You
    Love Cathy
  • DiO
    DiO Member Posts: 51
    sevey said:

Hello,
    My name is Cathy & I have'nt been around in a long while because of my own problems>{surgery twice} but I do not understand the reasoning that your Dr used by prescribing prozac & I do know that it should not be mixed with alcohol. When I first had all my female organs down there removed I was given premarin for hot flashes & I also take sedatives... Since I am pretty well versed on meds & side effects; I do know that alcohol is not good at all especially when taken in conjunction with all the meds that comes with the territory..... I really think you should talk to your Dr or even a pharmicist about taking prozac for hot flashes.... This is not coming from a mean place but it shocks me at times that Drs give a med that has nothing to do with hot flashes such as prozac!!!!! To me that sounds illogical & does not make sense... Prozac is a anti-depressant & comes with a host of side affects>>>> Please get another opinion or question your DR that prescribed it to you in the first place. I know that both chemo & radiation can create hot flashes as well as having a complete hystorectomy>>>>>> I don't think prozac will help you sleep & I don't believe it should be mixed with alcohol since it is a phsycotropic med to keep depression in check... Please get another opinion quickly & see if you can get a sleeping aide besides the alcohol. I am not saying that you cannot drink, but with alcohol added it makes a lot of meds we take create a synergistic affect which means 1+1=3>>> In otherwords it can cause some very severe side affects. I will pray for you & hope that you follow up with your Dr as far as prescribing prozac for hot flashes..... I have never heard of any Dr prescribing this particular med for anything besides depression...
    God Bless You
    Love Cathy

My cousin was prescribed Prozac for depression and as an added bonus her hot flashes disappeared. I believe this is being considered a new use of this drug. Good luck! Di
  • hillbillycat
    hillbillycat Member Posts: 79
    DiO said:

My cousin was prescribed Prozac for depression and as an added bonus her hot flashes disappeared. I believe this is being considered a new use of this drug. Good luck! Di

Hi , several years ago I tried prozac for depression.Well, I can tell you that I felt like I was walking on a tight wire and it never helped me to sleep. I gave it a fair chance to work but after a certain amount of time I was through with prozac and I would never take it again. Yet everyone is different to anti-depressants ...I guess you will just have to try and see. But I would NEVER drink alcohol along with prozac since this can alter your thinking. Please be safe......Shirl
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member

Hi , several years ago I tried prozac for depression.Well, I can tell you that I felt like I was walking on a tight wire and it never helped me to sleep. I gave it a fair chance to work but after a certain amount of time I was through with prozac and I would never take it again. Yet everyone is different to anti-depressants ...I guess you will just have to try and see. But I would NEVER drink alcohol along with prozac since this can alter your thinking. Please be safe......Shirl

Have to agree regarding not a good idea to mix Prozac with drinking. I've heard of using Effexor for hot flashes. The most interesting thing I've heard regarding treatment of menopausal symptoms was by Suzanne Somers. You might want to check out her site. As for sleeping I take xanex, but it can be addicting and definately should not be mixed with alcohol. I'd go back and talk with your doctor again, tell him about your questions and see what he says. God bless. hummingbyrd
  • jhope
    jhope Member Posts: 58

Have to agree regarding not a good idea to mix Prozac with drinking. I've heard of using Effexor for hot flashes. The most interesting thing I've heard regarding treatment of menopausal symptoms was by Suzanne Somers. You might want to check out her site. As for sleeping I take xanex, but it can be addicting and definately should not be mixed with alcohol. I'd go back and talk with your doctor again, tell him about your questions and see what he says. God bless. hummingbyrd

I was prescribed Prozac and know of several people when I asked in chat room that have been prescribed for hot flashes. It has been 3 weeks and is working. My oncologist prescribed, my gynocologist agreed. I couldn't believe it so I asked the pharmacist when I get it filled and he said it was very common. I couldn't take Effor, gave my anxiety. I take Ambian (1 month now) to sleep. It really knocks you out, good luck, and god bless you, JUlia