dumb question

peg123
peg123 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a double mastectomy about 6 months ago. I never remember to ask my drs. when I am there. Is there some sort of x-ray/mammogram that I need to have done? I read that cancer can come back at the incision sight or on the chest wall. Since my cancer was found by a yearly mammogram I feel like I will be left out if I don't have something done on an annual basis to keep check of my chest area.

Comments

• BJayeCo
    BJayeCo Member Posts: 13
    This is NOT a dumb question, actually very smart. My grandmother had b/c recur in the chest wall years after double mastectomy. Ask your doctor, though I would think that an ultrasound or MRI would be good diagnostic tools. Ask, it could save your life. BJ
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    I asked about mammogram at the time of my mastectomy and was told no. You're right about the possibility of cancer returning on the incision line or chest wall. My surgeon sees me every 6 months and physically palpates my incision line and underarms on both sides. For me, that's it.
  • SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    tlmac said:

I asked about mammogram at the time of my mastectomy and was told no. You're right about the possibility of cancer returning on the incision line or chest wall. My surgeon sees me every 6 months and physically palpates my incision line and underarms on both sides. For me, that's it.

I, too, thought that there ought to be some kind of test after mastectomy, but I'm told no. Sono's don't pick up calcifications, I don't know about MRI. I think this is where we have to be more diligent as far as self exam. Also, try to schedule your surgeon's visit 3 months apart from your GYN (I assume you see them at 6 mos. interval as well). That way you will have a physical breast exam every 3 months. I've been told that it would be fairly easy to catch should it recur. Has that happened to anyone?
  • bullfrog13
    bullfrog13 Member Posts: 213
    Peg123 - there are no dumb questions-!!
    I had a recurrance in chest wall @ incision site--! YES have it checked out at least every 6 months