Depression & anxiety

p1a2t3
p1a2t3 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My dear friend is undergoing chemo and is experiencing depression which required treatment in a mental hospital. How can I help her?

Comments

• seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    Hi Pla,

As someone who was already medicated before diagnosis, I can truly tell you that the depression since diagnosis eclipses anything that I have experienced in the past.

Your friend is so lucky to have you....you cared enough to try to find a place for help and she is so blessed.

I can say that what I need is gentle encouragement, to not be judged when I am in that darkest hour, and lots of times just a friend close at hand. I don't need to be talked to or emtertained. If you can visit her in the hospital, try to do that. It means a lot to the patient...I have been in the hospital for depression for three times. I can say that there were times too when I did not want to see anyone, but, that passed. Try to educate yourself about her treatment and what to expect so when you see it, you will understand. We go through so many stages. I am still in grief, and it is very hard some days to put one foot in front of the other.

Good luck to your friend. And God speed. Jan
  • SandNSabl1
    SandNSabl1 Member Posts: 3
    For one you are a very dear friend to be there for her. I just finished chemo after hvaing breast cancer last year. Each person reacts in their own ways to chemo. My biggest hurdle was last week when I ended up in hospital in isolation for fear of infection.
    Just be understanding. Chemo and the meds can make a person change from one moment to the next. No one can say what you will feel from one day to the next. I will keep your friend in my prayers. God Bless. Sand
  • blessings1020
    blessings1020 Member Posts: 54
    First of all, for you to even ask what you can do to help your friend shows that you care.

I am biPolar and have been hospitalized twice and the word CARE still means so much to me. Take the time to let your friend know that you are available to her anytime should she need you and even when there are times she does not want to ask (sometimes, we feel like we are a burden), contact her anyway or go to see her to let her know you care.

I am almost one year post op now and am still having many health issues and yes, there are still times I want to run away or crawl into a hole and never be seen again.

Good luck and Blessings.
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259

First of all, for you to even ask what you can do to help your friend shows that you care.

I am biPolar and have been hospitalized twice and the word CARE still means so much to me. Take the time to let your friend know that you are available to her anytime should she need you and even when there are times she does not want to ask (sometimes, we feel like we are a burden), contact her anyway or go to see her to let her know you care.

I am almost one year post op now and am still having many health issues and yes, there are still times I want to run away or crawl into a hole and never be seen again.

Good luck and Blessings.

Hi Blessings...I am bi polar as well and having had a total hysterectomy a year before diagnosis, I was on estrogen and taken immed. off of it when diagnosed in January. I have had a really bad time of it, moods swings are much worse, I am a fast cycler, and I cry if I hear someone at the oncologist making their chemo appts. Anyway, I am back on the estrogen now for a short while as my cancer showed to not be estrogen receptive. I am going to slowly back it off. Have you had any problems with that?