Financial Help

Options
pipervanord
pipervanord Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I figured this is a place to start. My mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and has had 4 surgeries in 10 wks and will start chemo soon followed by radiation. She is already on 50% disability and will recieve that for a couple more months. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any programs that may help her financially, possibly for a wig? I know this must sound absurd, and that nobody is prepared to deal with cancer financially. It just worries me because these things worry her and she has a long battle ahead of her and she needs to concentrate on getting better. Any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Snookums
    Snookums Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Look at the home page of this site and maybe it's on the true American Cancer home site but there's a place to look up your community. My community has Baton Rouge Cancer Services seperate from any other and they have a "wig bank" and hats, scarves, turbans, bras, prothsthetics you can "check out" for as long as you need it. Ask the oncology nurses if there are any local services and any social workers you may know. They are out there if you aren't in a big city go to the closest one and see. I will ask God to bring that knowledege to you and your Mom. She raised a beautiful person to be so caring and concerned. Good Luck on your search and perhaps reply to your own question with where you are located city, state. We have a wide variety of states represented and someone may be just where you are!
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi Piper, Not sure where you're located but here are a few places to try:
    American Cancer Society has wigs available free of charge from their wig banks. This program serves those who need a wig, but can't afford one. 1-800-ACS-2345.

Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation runs a free wig bank.
    3191-A Airport Loop Drive
    Costa Mesa, CA 92626,
    (714) 957-9157

There's government sponsored help for people on Income Support, Family Credit, Income-based Jobseeker?s Allowance or Disability Working Allowance. See the Department of Health leaflet HC11. If you aren't eligible for a free wig you can still get one through the NHS at a subsidised rate. See leaflet HC12.

Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization
    212 W. Van Buren, Suite 1000
    Chicago, IL 60607-3908
    1-800-221-2141
    Wig & Prostheses Bank provide products FREE of charge to women with limited resources.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    American Cancer Society also has a wonderful "Look Good/Feel Better" program for women on chemotherapy. They have wigs available, and they have a fabulous makeup workshop. It is much more than that, though. It is the first opportunity to really network with other women in the first stages of treatment. Call your Mom's local American Cancer Society and ask where she can attend. The oncology nurses told me about it, and even gave me a little shove to help me find the courage to go. It made all the difference in the world.
    Love,
    Denise
  • llange
    llange Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Some insurance companies will cover the cost of a wig. You need to have her Dr. write her a prescription for a "cranial prosthesis" to get it covered. I was able to do this, and I had a custom made wig to match my hairstyle before it fell out- I even had it highlighted to match my own hair, and my insurance covered it. It's worth checking into.

Best wishes for you and your mom.
    Lisa
  • nancyeob
    nancyeob Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Piper,
    If your Mom is on disability at 50% call a Social Security office and find out if she can reapply for a greater disability status with Medicare. Also check with Medicaid you'd be surprised at what they also offer. It's worth a phone call or two. What's the worse they can say... No, but your Mom may qualify. Give it a try.
    I also obtained my wigs at my local American Cancer Society office. They are more than happy to help with anything they can.
    Prayers to you and your Mom.

Nancy