bi lateral masectomy followed by diep reconstruction

Options
preeti
preeti Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello,
I will be going for surgery on the 29 of march, feeling a little apprehensive.I was wondering if you all had any suggestions on preparing for this surgery.
Thanks

Comments

• tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi Preeti, I had a bilateral on Feb. 6, 2003 and was amazed that there was almost no pain. I say almost because the drain tubes were a little uncomfortable. I made certain I had loose fitting comfortable clothes that I could get into easily because lifting arms immediately after surgery may be a little difficult. I also made sure I ask the nursing staff, before my discharge, for all necessary supplies to change gauze dressings and measure lymph fluid output. I actually came out of surgery and ate a full dinner. Make sure you know exactly what exercises your doctor wants you to do and when he wants you to start them. I began a day or two after discharge and now have total range of motion with both arms. Those of us who had axilary node dissection, as opposed to sentinal node, have a little harder time lifting that arm at the start but other than lifting restrictions and those involving bracelets, watches or rings that are too tight, within 2 months of surgery my arm was in great shape. My incisions were closed with staples and that was a blessing. Removal a week later was pain free as well. Toughest part, for me, were those darn drains. You'll do just fine and we'll all be remembering you in our prayers. Be sure to let us know how surgery goes.
    terri
  • Ronee33
    Ronee33 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Preeti -
    I had my bilateral mastectomy on Feb 26, 2004. I'm still in the process of healing. I chose not to have any reconstruction so I can only speak about the bilateral mastectomy. I found that the pain I had in the beginning was from reaching too far or in too weird of a position. That pain was intense. But there really is no pain in the chest area. I'd recommend that you get one of those grabber/reacher things because I really used mine a lot. Do your exercises to get your range of motion back. You won't realize how much you do until your limited by your surgery.
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Hi. I had a double mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction immediately on 2-4-04. If you plan to wear your own bed clothes in the hospital, you will want to have loose fitting ones that open totally down the front, and gowns not pjs. The band of the pj bottom may be uncomfortable. They will need to get to the drain bulbs to empty them and it makes it all much easier that way. Even if you wear hosp gowns while in the hosp, you will probably enjoy the gowns once home, as you will likely come home with the drain bulbs in place and you will have to empty them for a while.

I wanted the diep procedure but, it was not available in my area, so I had to go with the tram. I think that the healing time may be similar. I have had some difficulty with one breast not softening and staying purple, and that may require more surgery.

Mostly what I want to tell you is that you will be ok and try to find positive ways to spend your time while you heal, positive ppl, etc. I am having a really hard time financially due to all this and my family and friends have been my salvation emotionally. God speed and good luck to you sweet sister.
  • SanFranciscan
    SanFranciscan Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Preeti, I had a bilateral with a DIEP four months ago, and am feeling very good now. Feeling apprehensive is to be expected. It's major surgery. Try to get a good night's rest the night before,if you can.

Your experience may be different, but here's what mine was like -- surgery took 14 hours, then I spent 2 nights in the ICU, 4 nights in a regular room. You may have a shorter stay. My only significant pain was in the abdominal area the first time I got up out of bed to use the bathroom; as I moved more frequently, the pain declined. I went home with three drains.

The first few days at home, I had difficulty getting out of bed without assistance. If you're not married or otherwise living with someone, I suggest you arrange to have some one with you at all times at least for the first 3-4 days that you are home, and to cook, clean, etc. for the first week to 10 days.

Nightgowns/nightshirts that button in the front are definitely a necessity, as are similar blouses/shirts/dresses to wear to doctor appts.

You'll also want to have a whole lot of pillows to prop yourself up in bed, including some for under your knees. If you have a recliner, that will be fantastic, since the most comfortable position the first few days will be a "V"

Select some magazines and books to have available although you may spend a lot of the time sleeping at first. I spent most of my waking time watching DVD's.

Best of luck to you; I'll be thinking of you on Monday.
  • Sandis
    Sandis Member Posts: 85
    Options
    The only added advice I'd give you is to rent a hospital bed. I had a bilateral mastectomy with tramflap a year ago and had a rented hospital bed for a month. It was much easier to sleep without having to struggle with pillows. My plastic surgeon didn't think it was necessary so I had to pay out of pocket, but I really appreciated it. Take care. Sandi
  • jennuine
    jennuine Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Ronee33 said:

Hi Preeti -
    I had my bilateral mastectomy on Feb 26, 2004. I'm still in the process of healing. I chose not to have any reconstruction so I can only speak about the bilateral mastectomy. I found that the pain I had in the beginning was from reaching too far or in too weird of a position. That pain was intense. But there really is no pain in the chest area. I'd recommend that you get one of those grabber/reacher things because I really used mine a lot. Do your exercises to get your range of motion back. You won't realize how much you do until your limited by your surgery.

I had my bilateral mastectomy on Feb. 27th and is nice to know that I am not the only one that is still in the process of healing. I also am waiting for reconstruction due to the road ahead with chemo. and radiation. I do not have pain so much as I have discomfort in the chest region; feels like everything is tightening up (hmmm, I wonder why). Doing your exercises is definitely important. Although I feel guilty about not working right now, I think that it is the best thing for my body right now, especially since I am now undergoing chemo. Good Luck to you and keep your head up!
  • wingingit
    wingingit Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Hello, preeti! I can understand your apprehension with the mastectomies but there must also be a little readiness on your part to get this behind you so that you can start the next chapter of your life. So focus on that but do seek help if necessary during any step of this process. The others have given you some good advice. My plastic surgeon had me start wearing a sports bra after I had my drain removed from my breast area. Then I started wearing a girdle 24/7 for many weeks after the abdominal drains were removed. The hospital gave me a girdle but it itched my skin and I ended up buying a few high waisted panty girdles myself. Your doctor will let you know when or even if the bras and girdles are necessary. Sounds kind of strange but I felt better when I could start wearing them. I think some of the numbness feels so odd that it feels better to tighten and pull it all together. Definitely more control! Let us hear about your outcome and know you will be in my thoughts and prayers . . . Krista
  • preeti
    Options
    Thankyou Ladies for all your info and suggestions.I have been going back and forth with this decision only because I have had so much time to think wich also created the anxiety.My surgery is tomorrow At 8.00am I will let you know when I return home which will be next week.Till then Thanks for all your support, Peace
  • preeti
    Options
    preeti said:

Thankyou Ladies for all your info and suggestions.I have been going back and forth with this decision only because I have had so much time to think wich also created the anxiety.My surgery is tomorrow At 8.00am I will let you know when I return home which will be next week.Till then Thanks for all your support, Peace

HI, I am writing on behalf of my mother. She had her reconstruction this Monday and it lasted 9.5 hours and she was d/c'd home yesterday evening. She is currently doing well. I wanted to personally thank ya'll for being so helpful to my mother in helping with her apprenhension and helping her anticipate what she would need after surgery. Thank you for keeping her in your thoughts and she will contact each of you when she is feeling better.
  • LGallo
    LGallo Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2021 #11
    Options
    bilateral masectomy out patient

The surgeon told me bilateral mastectomy is out patient due to covid???

• jumpingjacks
    jumpingjacks Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2021 #12
    Options
    LGallo said:

bilateral masectomy out patient

The surgeon told me bilateral mastectomy is out patient due to covid???

Maybe correct

If all you are doing is mastectomy, then the surgery is fairly quick. If you are doing immediate reconstruction, then definitely not outpatient.