Loosing my hair

Options
lisagm39
lisagm39 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well it finally started im loosing my hair and im so depressed about it. I guess since it had been three weeks since I started chemo I hoped I was gonna be lucky. This is really getting me down. Has anyones Dr. given them something for depression? I have been doing alright until this. Dont know if I can get through this or not. Lisa

Comments

• tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, I have no doubt you will get through the loss of your hair with the same courage and determination that's gotten you through surgery and chemo. Hair loss is one of the hardest things for some of us to face. There definitely are anti-depressants available. I have a friend who swears by Remeron Sol Tabs. Talk with your oncologist about pros and cons and which would be best for you. I ended up shaving my head and wearing a doo wrap or baseball cap till my hair grew back in but several friends in my support group got such great wigs I couldn't tell it wasn't their own hair. Everyone here knows exactly what you're going through. You have our support and our prayers.
    terri
  • Mosis50
    Mosis50 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    I am finally getting my hair back after losing all of it. I expected it so I was ready for it with an assortment of hats and a couple of wigs. I shaved my head so I wouldn't have to find hair all over the place. I was started on an antidepressant when I was diagnosed due to my constant crying. It really helped me. Losing my hair was not what depressed me. I am still on the antidepressant because the dr. took me off all my hormones meds and I needed something to "smooth me out". I had fun with the wigs and the hats. There is so much to be thankful for now. I will pray for you that you will find some peace. Look for little things to smile about. It is your attitude that will get you through this very difficult part of your life.
  • CHooks
    CHooks Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Lisa, I won't pretend to know what you are feeling. I am dreading this very moment. I had surgery 6 days ago and as of now, I don't know yet if I will need chemo. I know I will have to have radiation. I meet with my surgeon Wed. & I am not even sure if then I will know the next step. But I have decided that if I have to have chemo, I will shave my head & get a wig rather than wake up each morning & find me hair on my pillow. I just can't do that. But, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and will most likely be following in your footsteps. So stay strong so that I will have a role model. Charlotte.
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Lisa, you need to have total confidence in your self! your gonna get through this. Your in my prayers.
    ~Brooke
  • Mich1417
    Mich1417 Member Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa,
    Take it from someone who used to freak out about breakouts on her face, and used to throw hairbrushes at the wall when her hair "didn't work"...I asked God to handle this as well as I could, and he answered my prayers. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 36. I just looked at losing my hair as a sure sign that I'm a survivor. I wear my survivor sign proudly with cool bandannas and scarves. I found a cool way to wrap a scarve and then top it with a baseball hat with the pink ribbon on it and stick the ends of the scarf out the "leetle" hole in the back of the hat. When Sinead O'Connor first came out, I thought what a strong women to shave her head. I never would have had the guts to do that back then, but know I did! I too, thought maybe I wouldn't actually lose it since I was doing so well on my first cycle, but it started pulling out easy. I started pulling it out like a party trick. I even asked my 6 year old if he wanted to pull some out! He's a boy, so I knew he would love doing that! Then I just shaved it so it wouldn't be patchy. I thought I would look in the mirror and giggle and laugh, and then cry. But, instead I just giggled and laughed and took pictures! I have a cute small round head! I never would have known that!

It will grow back! I keep thinking of all those men whose hair won't grow back when they become bald. And what about those women who have thinning hair without going through chemo.

I hope you find peace with it like I did, and maybe have a little fun with it! Did you go to the Look Good Feel Better program yet? It's put on by the ACS! Free makeup sometimes helps the situation. They also help you disguise that beautiful head of yours! Your hair does not define you as a women! You are beautiful no matter what!
    Good luck,
    Michelle
  • lynne40
    lynne40 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    The hair loss part was tough for me. I got a wig that looked just like my hairstyle before my hair came out. It helped alot. I look at it like this. If it bothers you it bothers YOU. I know some people are OK with it. If you're not get a wig, bandana, cap whatever you need ahead of time. Then at least you will be prepared. My hair is about 3 inches long now 6 months after chemo. Still too short for my liking and very curly, but I must admit I'm thrilled that it is coming back!!! Hang in there. The choice to be bald or not is made by the cure, so I took the cure and learned to live with it. I'm praying for acceptance for you too. Hang in there Hugs,
    Lynne
  • epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137
    Options
    Hi, Lisa. I think losing your hair is one of the toughest parts of breast cancer treatment. If you find it's all just too much for you, there's nothing wrong with going on anti-depressants. When I asked my oncologist if it was okay to be on them while undergoing chemo, he laughed and said, "Are you kidding? Everyone's on them. I'm surprised we don't have little baskets out front with packets of anti-depressants in them....like Chicklets!" I was on them and it really helped. Hang in there, it does get better. Ellen
  • billandpatty
    billandpatty Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi Lisa:
    I didn't know how to handle going bald either. I hadn't known anyone personally that had gone through it. The support group I was in met only every other week, so that wasn't any help. I tried to see about a wig ahead of time, but they just didn't seem "right" ... I wasn't someone that fussed over their hair, I washed and dried my hair and that was it for the day. I was in Macy's getting a birthday gift for someone, my hair was dropping out and I felt like crying. On my way out of the store, I passed by the cosmetic counter and a young woman asked me if I'd like to have a facial ... so I did. What a wonderful day it turned out to be. The young woman made me feel beautiful -- even tho' at the time, I was a far cry from it! I went home with a moisturizer and a smile. It was May 2000 and where I live it became unseasonably HOT -- 115 for several days in a row, I made a decision -- no wig. I wouldn't survive the summer in it. So I went with baseball caps. Several friends got me different ones and my favorite was the one my children got me (still have it and wear it), a white Polo. I definitely had to get used to being bald, after awhile it didn't bother me. I don't know what changed in me but I think there might be a process you have to go through.

Know that all of us here understand what you're having to deal with. Be sure to talk to your doctor if you feel depressed -- it's ok. My primary care physician told me in the beginning of my treatments to let her know if I felt down or depressed, she'd help me. Be good to yourself. You've had to get through a lot to get to this point, your life is going in directions that weren't in your plans -- like surgery, chemo ... and going bald --

You'll get through this, you're a survivor. And you have all of our support, prayers and cheering to help you make it through this difficult time of your life.
  • shemiya
    shemiya Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi Lisa,
    I know what you mean about loosing your hair. I worried more about that than I did about taking the treatments. I went out the week before and bought a wig which to me was a big mistake. I could not stand to wear it. So it has stayed in the box. I ordered me several turbies out of the tlc catalog and I enjoyed wearing those. I had my hair shaved real short after my second treatment because mine was coming out when I would shower. I finished treatments the 23rd Dec.2003. I have a thick head of hair now about 1/2 inch long. The short hair has grown on me I love the hair style. I might keep it this way. Never thought I would say that.
    Good luck to you.
    Betty
  • SandNSabl1
    SandNSabl1 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Hun, I know losing your hair can be so devasting. I had my first chemo Oct 15 and within two weeks was crying as I pulled out handfulls.Tears just streamed down my face. Losing our hair is the most upsetting of all. But it does come back. Mine is about a quarter of an inch now and very dark. I never thought it would but its there. The light at the end of the tunnel seems so far away dear. But believe me it passes and you have much to celebrate when you do. I have been going through this for 6 months.I am at the end of the tunnel with a beautiful light there and seeing I did it I got through it. God Bless you and hang in there, Sand
  • SandNSabl1
    SandNSabl1 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Hun, I know losing your hair can be so devasting. I had my first chemo Oct 15 and within two weeks was crying as I pulled out handfulls.Tears just streamed down my face. Losing our hair is the most upsetting of all. But it does come back. Mine is about a quarter of an inch now and very dark. I never thought it would but its there. The light at the end of the tunnel seems so far away dear. But believe me it passes and you have much to celebrate when you do. I have been going through this for 6 months.I am at the end of the tunnel with a beautiful light there and seeing I did it I got through it. God Bless you and hang in there, Sand
  • nonie31
    nonie31 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    lynne40 said:

The hair loss part was tough for me. I got a wig that looked just like my hairstyle before my hair came out. It helped alot. I look at it like this. If it bothers you it bothers YOU. I know some people are OK with it. If you're not get a wig, bandana, cap whatever you need ahead of time. Then at least you will be prepared. My hair is about 3 inches long now 6 months after chemo. Still too short for my liking and very curly, but I must admit I'm thrilled that it is coming back!!! Hang in there. The choice to be bald or not is made by the cure, so I took the cure and learned to live with it. I'm praying for acceptance for you too. Hang in there Hugs,
    Lynne

i can't afford a wig right now. do you know of any places that donate them to adults? I know Locks of Love does it for children? Thanx
  • Georgi
    Georgi Member Posts: 1
    Options
    lynne40 said:

Lynne

I know all about hair loss and how devastating it is.
    I thought I was Sampson and once my hair fell out I would fall apart. It was just part of my identity. People would describe me as the girl with the hair. I have been wearing a wig now since December..and I am used to it. The nurse at my oncology office told me in Jan that I was going to lose my hair soon... She said she had no idea I was already wearing a wig when I told her. The whole experience of my pony tail just coming out was really as tough as any chemo that I have had.
    My sister found a place where a professional hair/wig stylist comes to your house so you can deal with all this in the privacy of your home. It really made a difference to me. I just felt loved and understood by my sister for finding this service for me.
    Check out WWW/girlonthego.biz if you live in the NYC area. A cancer survivor owns the service.. and she is really nice. At the end of the day even though we have cancer... we still want to try and feel good about the way we look.
  • pattyrg
    pattyrg Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I disagree that hair loss is devastating. My onc told me from the beginning that ECF would make my hair fall out. That probably helped me.

Keep in mind that not everyone can be bald and still look good. God must think you can carry it off.

I got 'lovies' from the ACS catalog which I found more comfortable that wigs. I did wear a wig for 'dress up' occasions because it made my mother-in-law feel more comfortable, and that was okay with me.

My lovie caps I adorned with scarves and pins matching my clothing that day.

Attitude - it's a thread through everything having to do with cancer. You control it, take a positive one.

As soon as I had enough hair (about 1/3") to stop wearing the caps, I did. A smile replaces hair any day. On the days when I wasn't smiling, I stayed in. My family and immediate neighbors saw me bald at home.

Do not worry about what other people think. Be comfortable with your surviving self!