Tips for Getting through Radiation

Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, everyone... I've just finished chemo 4 A/C; 4 Taxol and I'm about to begin radiation in 2 wks [6 weeks duration]. I was dx in Oct. 2003 and I had a lumpectomy in Nov. 2003. I've heard that so many women develop burns after radiation. I'm looking for any tips, suggestions, etc. which will help as I begin this new phase of treatment. Thanks in advance...

Jaded

Comments

• billandpatty
    billandpatty Member Posts: 86
    Hi Jaded!
    Congratulations on your completing chemo! I had the same treatments minus the Taxol. First, after going through chemo, I found radiation easy to go through. As far as burns -- that's an indivdual matter -- everyone's skin is different. You start to burn as you're going through treatments and the further along in treatment, the more likely you'll start burning. It's culmulative. Take care of your skin -- no hot tubs or sun or real hot showers. They should give you a prescription or sample of a lotion that is for burn victims. Before and after treatments, I wore a soft, loose athletic type bra -- something that didn't rub on my skin. When I had treatments, I saw a doctor once a week. Both the technicians and doctors want to know immediately if you're having any problems or concerns. They want you and your skin to stay healthy so you can finish your treatments without having to stop in-between. I found out after I finished mine, that the techs bet on which patients will burn more -- since I have blue eyes (they didn't know my hair color, I didn't have any!), they thought I would have had more of a burn, but I didn't. I found I had a lot of energy 'til late in the day and had to crash by about 7 or 8 p.m. The techs are great -- they have an upbeat attitude and become your friends as you go further into your journey of cancer treatment. And since you see them daily, 5 days a week, they become your support network while you're there. Good luck to you.
  • Hi Jaded!
    Congratulations on your completing chemo! I had the same treatments minus the Taxol. First, after going through chemo, I found radiation easy to go through. As far as burns -- that's an indivdual matter -- everyone's skin is different. You start to burn as you're going through treatments and the further along in treatment, the more likely you'll start burning. It's culmulative. Take care of your skin -- no hot tubs or sun or real hot showers. They should give you a prescription or sample of a lotion that is for burn victims. Before and after treatments, I wore a soft, loose athletic type bra -- something that didn't rub on my skin. When I had treatments, I saw a doctor once a week. Both the technicians and doctors want to know immediately if you're having any problems or concerns. They want you and your skin to stay healthy so you can finish your treatments without having to stop in-between. I found out after I finished mine, that the techs bet on which patients will burn more -- since I have blue eyes (they didn't know my hair color, I didn't have any!), they thought I would have had more of a burn, but I didn't. I found I had a lot of energy 'til late in the day and had to crash by about 7 or 8 p.m. The techs are great -- they have an upbeat attitude and become your friends as you go further into your journey of cancer treatment. And since you see them daily, 5 days a week, they become your support network while you're there. Good luck to you.

Dear billand patty:

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely ask for the presciption for a lotion. Many have told me that the radiation is easier than the chemo. Hopefully, like you, I'll get through it!!!

Jaded
  • lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    Radiation will be very easy after chemo. If you have small breast and dark skin it will be easier. I did burn under the fold where the air couldn't get at. I found the aloe plant worked the very best as did my husband when he had 42 treatments for prostate cancer. The techs are great and it is quick. We treated ourselves to a nice tea shop, did some antique shopping and flea markets after treatments and it was all soon over. Congs on finishing chemo and good luck. Linda
  • preeti
    preeti Member Posts: 9
    They will prescribe some foam use that diligently and also lather the radiated area with vitamin E cream
  • radioav8r
    radioav8r Member Posts: 5
    I did 2 months of radiation, and because I tan pretty good I did not have major burns. There are some prescription creams you can use and use them very generously and you'll be okay. The exhaustion is probably the biggest battle, but having gone through chemo it should be a piece of cake. I did find that the radiation wreaked a little havoc on my hormones and I had a bit of depression. Should've asked for an anti-depressant about halfway through treatment...your call. Best of luck and my prayers are with you!!!
  • radioav8r said:

I did 2 months of radiation, and because I tan pretty good I did not have major burns. There are some prescription creams you can use and use them very generously and you'll be okay. The exhaustion is probably the biggest battle, but having gone through chemo it should be a piece of cake. I did find that the radiation wreaked a little havoc on my hormones and I had a bit of depression. Should've asked for an anti-depressant about halfway through treatment...your call. Best of luck and my prayers are with you!!!

Thanks to all of you for your tips. I'm certainly going to take the advise of all you strong women who have been down this road. I've already met with my radiation oncologist and she is very pleasant and knowledgeable. I'm looking forward to finishing ALL bc treatments and moving on with my life -- that is, if one can ever say that they're truly moving on after having battled cancer.

Thanks again!

Jaded (Florence)
  • radioav8r
    I've been trying to remember the name of the prescrition cream that worked so well for me...It's BIAFINE. Use it liberally and the burns should be minimal. I went through 4 tubes of it in 2 months....totally worth it!!!
  • radioav8r
    I've been trying to remember the name of the prescrition cream that worked so well for me...It's BIAFINE. Use it liberally and the burns should be minimal. I went through 4 tubes of it in 2 months....totally worth it!!!