one year

Options
blossomtime
blossomtime Member Posts: 98
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It's hard to believe but I finished treatment one yr ago this week. Spring is here and so today I decided to go buy a pear tree to celebrate. I never had a fruit tree so I figured it was high time. I was told it takes several years to bare fruit but when it does I plan to still be here to see it and enjoy it. My friends cant believe I think things like that, but after having gone through such a life altering experience it is a part of me forever. Planning long term is still hard at times. Maybe that will get better too.

Comments

• inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi blossom:

Congrats on being a year out!!!

Planting a pear tree to celebrate your life and your survivorship is a WONDERFUL idea! I love it! Kudos to you upon finding such a life affirming way to celebrate. I just know that you WILL see this tree bear fruit and you WILL enjoy the wonderful, juicy flavor of your pears, so go ahead and call dibs on the first one to ripen! LOL

Your friends are amazed at your "thinking" because they don't understand it and that's ok. We can only accept where they are in their lives and be thankful that they have not had to go where we've been, just as they accept our "strangeness", post bc. It's ALL good!

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My treatments ended May 8, 2003 so I'm about 6 weeks behind you. My friends have been wonderful but, like yours, they don't always understand my thinking or the comments I sometimes make. That's one of the reasons I come here. Love your idea of planting a tree. Thanks, so much, for sharing it.
    terri
  • billandpatty
    billandpatty Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Congratulations on your first anniversary. Can you believe all that you have survived??? and still carried on a life? A great idea to plant a tree to celebrate. My husband took me on a Carribbean cruise to celebrate my one year. He actually wanted to take me sooner, but I told him I couldn't stay awake long enough to go out to dinner each night! ... and I wanted to have a little hair, so I wouldn't sunburn too badly on my head. We waited 'til I got stronger and grew some hair. I don't think others that haven't gone through all this know how special it is to reach milestones of 1, 2 years and beyond. ... they know you hit a bump in the road, but they think you should be "fine" when you have the last chemo or radiation treatment. They probably notice that you've changed somewhat amd they aren't understanding that sense of humor you've acquired in the last year. I think some of that humor comes from losing our modesty because of all the situations we've been in because of treatments (I was diagnosed with melanoma last year -- if you think doctors look you over for breast cancer check-ups, try melanoma -- there isn't ANY part of you that isn't looked at!).

I think it's a pretty normal reaction to not look too far in the future. I don't know, maybe we're afraid we'll get sad about what we might miss if our cancer returns. My husband and I started planning for retirement -- I told the planner that planning for the future was ok, but I was going to smell the roses along the way -- I wasn't going to scrimp and save and not enjoy what I can do today. Not that I want go crazy about doing stuff, but hey, while I can walk and see and hear and do -- I'm going to get out and go. I'm not sure if he really understood me.

I took a class (a business class!) last year in which the instructor said you should always have a "ticket" ... a plane ticket, ticket to a play, a dinner reservation -- something -- something to always look forward to. Maybe that's what your pear tree is -- your "ticket" --something to look forward to.

Have a wonderful second year. Let us know what you do to celebrate your next one.

Patty
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Pear trees are so beautiful with that dark bark and the gorgeous flowers in Spring. Congratulations, Blossom. Enjoy!
    Love,
    Denise