Good Update on Bert :o)

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am so very happy to report that all of Bert's scans on take on Wednesday, March 6 (CT as well as PET Infusion)came back clean as a whistle...just like the did six weeks ago, even
slightly better if such a thing is possible. His oncologist is doing this every six weeks because of Bert's CEA continuing to remain above normal (between 5.1 and 7.7)...mostly around the 6.0 mark. The onc was quick to point out that CEA doing what Bert's is doing (7.7 to 6.1 to 6.5 to 5.9 to 6.0 to 6.6) is not usually an indicator of any cancer activity. It would be more along the lines of 7.7 to 15.6 to 23.5, etc., etc., etc., which would give cause to worry. The day the scans were done, Bert's CEA was 6.6!!!! The doctor cannot figure it out but will continue close monitoring and observation. Onc continuously tells us "better safe than sorry" and I'd much rather prefer an oncologist this way than one who says let's wait and see what happens. Bert continues to tolerate chemo very, very well (thank you again Dr. Lenz for working out the appropriate mix and doseage :o)), no weight loss, if anything, actual gains, and is
living each day quite normally. Oh yes, he's tired, but seems to bounce back real well after a good nap or a good night's sleep. The doctor has decided that he will not need to see Bert every two weeks anymore, but rather every four weeks however, he wants to continue all blood work every two weeks and chemo for a little while longer.

We went away for four days (combination of my birthday and our 29th wedding anniversary) up North to San Francisco last week and weekend
and Bert drove the entire way (about 6 hours) without any problems...we had a wonderful time while there and then drove home again on Monday and went for all tests and scans and to work on
Tuesday. I am very blessed and so thankful, consider the very rough time he had in October when hospitalized with sever chemo infection and all of December, fighting uncontrolable diarrhea.
Since he's been with Dr. Lenz, so far so good, and I am so very, very grateful.

For all my dear friends on this board who have continued to encourage me and pray for us, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
Please pray that Bert beats this disease and that God grants us many more years together. I couldn't have come this far without your kindness
and continued support. And to those who have not had much happiness lately, know that you are never far from my thoughts and my prayers
which will continue on for you just as they do for all of us still dealing with this awful, awful disease in one form or another.

Much love and thankfulness,
Monika in L.A. :o), who once again is posting from work and needs to get back to work (LOL)

Comments

• nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Monika: This is indeed great news! Bert has slayed the dragon, or at least put his fire out. Congratulations.
    If you have Dr. Lenz's meds and doseage, I'd like to compare with mine to see if similar. Bert's protocol is the same as mine, and I am still having a lot of side effects. Thanks, and best wishes- Bud
  • Momsweeboy
    Momsweeboy Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Monika,

That is great news about your husband. Its good to read some uplifting news. Thank you so much for your response to my post. I will be talking to my Mom over the weekend about going to a Cancer Center. I agree with you..doing nothing is not an option. Glod Bless nd my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Dave
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Monika and Bert,

What wonderful news!! I am so thankful for you both. What a loving couple you are - you are in my thoughts and prayers for continued good news!

Take care, enjoy life!

Kerry
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Monika and Bert, This is GREAT news, and I'm glad you had time away to celebrate your birthday/anniversary. I find those treats to be especially important now. Hubby and I are trying to cook up a dream vacation this summer, after I'm through with chemo.
    Keep up the good work, we continue to wish you well. Judy
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

peace, emily who is thankful for each day with her own hubby too!
  • cmcl
    cmcl Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Congratulations to Bert, and of course to you Monika for being so supportive. I'm so happy for you both.
    Here's to good health for all of us,
    Carolyn
  • nanuk said:

Monika: This is indeed great news! Bert has slayed the dragon, or at least put his fire out. Congratulations.
    If you have Dr. Lenz's meds and doseage, I'd like to compare with mine to see if similar. Bert's protocol is the same as mine, and I am still having a lot of side effects. Thanks, and best wishes- Bud

Thanks Bud! I've posted Bert's dosage separately. Take good care, okay.

Monika
  • Hi Monika,

That is great news about your husband. Its good to read some uplifting news. Thank you so much for your response to my post. I will be talking to my Mom over the weekend about going to a Cancer Center. I agree with you..doing nothing is not an option. Glod Bless nd my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Dave

Thanks Dave and way to go!!! By looking into and exploring all options available, and believe me, there are many, you will never ever go back and say should have, would have, could have...and that in and of itself can be peace of mind and a blessing. Please, please keep us all informed. Your mom sounds like she's a fighter, just like mine.

Fondly,
    Monika
  • 2bhealed said:

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

peace, emily who is thankful for each day with her own hubby too!

WooHoo, Whoopeeee, Way to Go, is right!!!! You and many others on this board have been such an inspiration. Thanks so much. Here's hoping it all continues.

Hugs,
    A very greatful Monika
  • jsabol said:

Monika and Bert, This is GREAT news, and I'm glad you had time away to celebrate your birthday/anniversary. I find those treats to be especially important now. Hubby and I are trying to cook up a dream vacation this summer, after I'm through with chemo.
    Keep up the good work, we continue to wish you well. Judy

Thank you Judith. We sure as heck are going to try are darndest to keep up the good work...hard as it sometimes gets and is, the prize is well worth winning.

Hugs,
    Monika
  • pattieb
    pattieb Member Posts: 168
    Options
    YEAH Monika & Bert
    So glad to hear the good news. Keep it up.
    Pattie