Finally Got The News!

CVD
CVD Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
Had an appointment with the oncologist who sent me for surgery.(March 16th)He said that the scan I had taken did not show that the cancer was so advanced. If the scan had shown how advanced the cancer was he would have first treated it with chemo and radiation, before surgery.
Monday I will start chemo. The drugs he will use is a combination of Fluorouracil (5-FU) and Leucovorin. Will have chemo for five straight days and then rest for 4 weeks. Radiation for five weeks. First 4 days of radiation will be combined with chemo and last 3 days of radiation will be combined with chemo,then I will rest for 4 weeks. One more week of chemo---then rest for 5 weeks, then another five days of chemo. The stage of my cancer is T3N1M0, the tumor was at the junction of the stomach and esophagus.
Would like to know if anyone out there has had this treatment with the same drugs.
I plan on just rolling with the punches. Taking each day at a time.
Clyde, Richmond. Va

Comments

• bke
    bke Member Posts: 42
    Clyde, 5FU and leucovorin are pretty usual with esophageal cancer. To connect with a number of esophageal cancer survivors go to www.eccafe.org. It is a great esophageal cancer site. There is a link there to the ACOR list group for esophageal cancer. There are 1200 subscribers to the list. It is a group of very helpful, informative and compassionate people. If you have trouble getting to the list you can email me at BKEmery@aol.com and I can try to help you connect. It is a group worth the effort.
  • 78MAPLE
    78MAPLE Member Posts: 8
    hi clyde, my husband was staged the exact same as yours. he had 5 days of chemo. & radiation twice a day. then rad only twice a day. for 5 days. month off- then surg 12-10-03. month off. then back to the hospital for 5 days of chemo and rad twice a day & rad twice a day the next week. the treatments aren't so bad. the healing goes pretty quick. weakness was a big issue. i can see him getting better. God bless you as you begin this journey.