Hormone therapy

I just finished chemotherapy for advanced uterine cancer. The oncologist wants to put me on progesterone hormone therapy to keep it in remission. Does anyone know anything about this treatment option? Thank you for your input.

Comments

• vix
    vix Member Posts: 15
    Hi there; I had a radical hysterectomy but have never taken hormones; they advised against it for the first year as synthetic hormone replacement can retrigger cancer. It is a very political issue. However, I did NOT have chemo, so I think your situation is quite different. My advice would be reading and researching. Did you post your message on more than one board? That will open your span of replies. Also, check out the resource library on this site; very informative. I know I have been absolutely NO help at all, but I just wanted you to know that I read your thread and was thinking of you. Best of luck...VIX
  • jackykun
    jackykun Member Posts: 2
    Jashe, I believe the best way is better to consult your docter. I have a link published in Medi-link regarding Hormone therapy for your reference. Take care.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14979602
  • uwanda
    uwanda Member Posts: 1
    vix said:

Hi there; I had a radical hysterectomy but have never taken hormones; they advised against it for the first year as synthetic hormone replacement can retrigger cancer. It is a very political issue. However, I did NOT have chemo, so I think your situation is quite different. My advice would be reading and researching. Did you post your message on more than one board? That will open your span of replies. Also, check out the resource library on this site; very informative. I know I have been absolutely NO help at all, but I just wanted you to know that I read your thread and was thinking of you. Best of luck...VIX

SORRY ABOUT YOUR CANCER I JUST HAD A HYSTERECTOMY DONE IN JAN AND I STILL FEEL BAD THE DOCTOR SAID I DIDN'T HAVE CANCER ANY MORE BUT I STILL FEEL IT;S THERE !!! WELL I AM ON ESTOGEN PERMIRN AND I HAVE NO SIDE EFFECTS AND I DON'T HAVE HOT FASHES OR NOTHING SO I DON'T KNOW WHY I NEED TO BE ON THIS. BUT I ANSWER IS DON'T GO ON IT TILL YOU NEED TO THANKS AND GOOD LUCK UWANDA
  • SavannahSmiles
    SavannahSmiles Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have just recently been cleared of endometrial cancer through use of progesterones,specifically Megace. I was diagnosed in July 2003 with edometrial cancer. I am only 28 years old and have not had any children. My two options were hysterectomy or progesterone therapy. Thank God my doctor is the best thing that ever happened to me besides my husband and he was not willing to give me a hysterectomy without Megace treatment first. I took 180mg of progeterone everyday for three months. I went through horrible bouts of anger and depression because of the cancer diagnosis but the Megace worked wonderfully. I was cleared of cancer in October and I continue to take Meagace calendar days 1-7 monthly to have normal periods. The only problems I had with the Megace were lossing a little hair and weight gain. But, in the end, it was well worth it!!! I am still cancer free today thanks to progesterone therapy. If there is any other info I can give you please write back.