Breast Cancer returning?

Muga63
Muga63 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2022 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my left breast removed in Dec. 2002, finished Chemo May 2003 and radiation July 2003. Had reconstruction for left breast in September 2003. Last Monday I had a regular mamogram on the right breast which showed a group of calcifications. They also did a biopsy (stereostatic biopsy) and removed 6-7 calcifications. I met with a surgeon also last week who mentioned that I could have my right breast removed since the lobular cancer that I had could return someday. I am in a state of shock. Does anyone have any suggestions. Does it make sense to remove a breast to prevent cancer in the future.Thanks so much for being there.

Comments

• bettygee
    bettygee Member Posts: 40
    I had breast cancer in the left breast in 1979, I did not have the right breast removed. However, I had a new breast cancer in the right breast in 1999. So I am inclined to think it does make sense to remove a breast to prevent future cancer. I wish you well in whatever you decide to do. bettygee
  • banker
    banker Member Posts: 317 Member
    Hi Muga63, I had BC in 1998, mastectomy and chemo. Then in Feb.2002, New BC in other breast. Wanted it off, but after I thought about it, talked about it and researched some more, I decided, with the help of my doctors , for the lumpectomy, radiation and chemo. So far I am glad I did. Doing well. There is no guarantee, even if the whole breast comes off, that there will be no more cancer. I have accepted that and try to live my life as normal as possible. I am a (young) 60 year old and try not to dwell on "what if". Just had a mammogram last week, all is well, I continue my checkups and hope If cancer comes back it will be early enough to be treated. I have been lucky so far and consider myself blessed. I hope this helps a little, if you would like to talk more just email me. Take care and God bless. emmi :-)
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Hi Muga:

LCIS is considered a "marker" for bc. According to research, it seems that some women get bc after LCIS is discovered and some don't. Although it's called Lobular Carcinoma, the term is (in all publications I've read) misleading because it isn't cancer. Of course just hearing that word "carcinoma", is enough to lead most of us into thinking that surgery must be the only way to approach it. That bit of info may not help a lot, but wanted to pass it along.

I'd suggest some indepth research on LCIS, as it may be very helpful in making your best decision.

I'm not an across-the-board supporter of women going through mastectomy, as prophylaxis, since all breast tissue cannot possibly be removed anyway. We're all different in how we feel about that and it comes down to a matter of personal choice. It's a very serious decision. The most important thing is that you feel completely confident in your decision and your reason's for it.

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any indication to hurry up and decide, so you should be able to take the time you need. Getting a 2nd opinion may shed more light as well.

Wishing you well!

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • mamafred
    mamafred Member Posts: 2 Member
    Muga...I had breast cancer in Feb. of 1996 on left side. I did not have re-construction, but did choose to have right breast removed in Dec. of the same year for my own personal reasons...was so large busted, was very lopsided, back hurt constantly and was really uncomfortable. At that time, my oncologist was unsure about my decision, but agreed it was my choosing, as even after completing 12 rounds of chemo my chances of re-occurance on the other side was side about 90%. Now, being 8 years down the road, the Dr. told me last year that if I hadn't had the right breast removed, I would have needed to have it removed now. So far, I have been very fortunate and have had no problems, but 2 of the women I went thru chemo with have not been so lucky. One of them is fighting a bout now with bone mets and is having a really hard time. Not getting very good news. As for me, I've had no regrets for having the right one removed. It's much more comfortable for me. If I don't feel like wearing "boobs," I dont'!!! It's all a matter of what is best for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    I chose to have the "unaffected" breast removed at the time of the removal of the affected breast, and when all of the tissue was sent to Pathology, Pathology found tiny spots of the cancer in the "unaffected" breast.
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    You might want to see my note to HollyTraci
    I had lumpectomy, both sides, a year apart. As Ink said even with mastectomy there's no guarantee it won't return. I think it comes down to what makes you feel most secure.
    God bless and best wishes. hummingbyrd
    Oh yeah, I'm real big into alt meds and nutrition!
  • kyd
    kyd Member Posts: 1 Member

I had a lumpectomy and radiation for invasive ductal carcinoma in August 2021. Everything looked good: clean margins, no lymph node involvement and an Oncotype DX test showing no need for chemo. Now a year later I have a NEW DCIS in the same breast and many small dots that showed on the MRI. My other breast has atypical lobular hyperplasia which is precancerous. My breasts are very dense

It is recommended that I do a bilateral mascetomy and I have agreed to that with an aesthetic flat closure.