Radiation Fears

meshell
meshell Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi I am new to this board Can any one help me as I have heard lots of ladies say they really burn badly with radio i am due to start mine on the 23rd march are there any specific creams to use or supplements to use to help prevent . please help Thanks Michele

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    HI M. SHELL, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME TO THIS SITE AS WELL. I AM A TWO TIME BREAST CANCER SURVIVIOR. I HAVE HAD A TOTAL OF 16 WEEKS OF RADIATION. I DID BURN AND WHAT I FOUND THAT GAVE ME THE MOST RELIEF WERR RADIA CARE GEL SHEETS. THEY ARE MADE BY CARRINGTON. THEY ARE A TOPICAL DRESSING FOR RADIATION BURNS. I KEEP A FEW IN MY FRIG SO I CAN TELL OTHERS ABOUT THEM. HERE IS A PHONE NUMBER 1 800 358-5205. I HOPE THE NUMBER IS STILL VALID AS IT HAS BEEN 5 YEARS SINCE MY RAIDIATION. TRUST ME THERE IS HOPE. I WAS A STAGE 4 CANCER AND I HAVE BEEN CANCER FREE FOR 5 YEARS. GOD BLESS YOU I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS.
  • Watercolor
    Watercolor Member Posts: 45
    We all react differently to radiation / meds. I had 33 radiation treatments for DCIS stage 0. (The last treatment was one year ago last Friday.) At a support group prior to starting treatments, a woman was telling of oozing blisters, etc. I was worried.

During my three set-up appointments for radiation the oncologist told me to apply 100% aloe vera gel to the area three or four times per day. I did that faithfully beginning the day before treatments started. I had very little reaction to the radiation. My skin got red (not terribly) and dry. That was it. I kept up applying the gel for a few weeks after treatments ended. After about a month, my skin was back to normal.

I was not terribly worried about the radiation. I believe stress can effect you in so many ways. Before the treatments started I had lost a little weight due to stress of the diagnosis, etc. My radiation oncologist told me to be sure to eat enough. DO NOT lose weight. I ate normally during radiation. I felt absolutely no fatigue which can be a side effect.

I've read other posts on other sites that women have found the radiation oncologists, nurses, and technicians to be so nice. That was true of my experience also. I missed seeing them daily after my treatments ended.

Try not to worry. I believe that will help. Ask your oncologist about skin care during treatments. I am sure s/he will tell you not to apply anything which contains alcohol. I like the aloe vera gel -- not messy, doesn't stain, is soothing, etc., etc.

Good luck. I hope you have the same experience I did.

Mary D.
  • amelia
    amelia Member Posts: 56
    Michele, I did 6 weeks of radiation and like watercolor Mary, applied aloe vera gel faithfully. I wore cotton under shirts and no bra also. I applied the gel right after treatments, before I got dressed and two more times during the day and before I went to bed I cut a leaf from my aloe vera plant and applied that too. Be careful what you put on when appling the plant, it stains. The most that happened to me was a slight redness and the last 3 days they pin-pointed the rays directly on the tumor site, and that looked more like a bad sunburn. Good luck to you, we'll keep you in our prayers! God Bless, Amelia
  • Watercolor
    Watercolor Member Posts: 45
    Michele, Same here too about the cotton T-shirts / undershirts and no bra. I used Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel ( http://www.fote.com/prod_skin_gel.html ). My skin didn't start showing any reaction until about midway through the treatments.

As Amelia said, the last few treatments will probably be the "boost". The radiation will be aimed at just the tumor site instead of the whole breast. That area will be a little more red.

Try not to worry. Easier said than done. Mary
  • Sherryo
    Sherryo Member Posts: 1
    Ask the facility where your radiation treatments will take place for a recommendation. My facility gave me a prescription for a creme that was excellent. I cannot remember the name (it's been six months since I finished). If your radiation place doesn't recommend anything, post another message and I'll get the name of it. I have very light, sensitive skin. There was no problem with burning. I attribute it to the use of the creme.
  • SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    Sherryo said:

Ask the facility where your radiation treatments will take place for a recommendation. My facility gave me a prescription for a creme that was excellent. I cannot remember the name (it's been six months since I finished). If your radiation place doesn't recommend anything, post another message and I'll get the name of it. I have very light, sensitive skin. There was no problem with burning. I attribute it to the use of the creme.

Was the name of the cream BIAFINE? I finished radiation 12/31/03. Used the 100% aloe until probably the last week and a half. Then switched to Aquaphor ointment (over the counter)and then to the BIAFINE (prescription). The last week of treatment and the week that followed was when the only discomfort occurred. Just like a bad sunburn. The prescription cream really helped. I also had some minor fatigue, nothing overwhelming. Good luck Michele.
    Susan
  • turk
    turk Member Posts: 3
    I used andra sina relief lotion if you want to order the phone number is 1-800-GET SINA. I did get burn last week but after chemo radiation was a breeze. I took my walkmen with me and imagine I was in a beach on a hot summer day. Good luck