Ok, Back to the CEA Level

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I think we've had this discussion before, but I can't help but worry myself sick over Bert's CEA level. It's consistently around 6.0.

If you will recall, he was at 0.9 from August to December last year and then jumped to 7.7. That's when all the test were done...first CAT, then PET Infusion and all test were absolutely clear...NED anywhere (thank you God). However, since January 8, his CEA has gone from 7.7 to 6.0 to 5.9 and now at 6.1. I know, I know...CEA is just one element of the whole picture, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. Onc's explanation is pretty much that there are a handful of people that this happens to while on chemo...at this point, there seems to be no other explanation. No infection, and Bert does not smoke so I'm truly hoping the onc's opinion is right....although in all honesty, he's not easy with the CEA level either, but for now, there is nothing further to be done. I guess I just needed to vent a little...thanks for listening.

Monika who is driving herself and probably Bert crazy with her CEA anxiety out on the West Coast.

Comments

• kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Gotta be the dumb bunny Monika--'tis in me nature--what is CEA?
    When I went to my first chemo session I was asked whether I wanted to know about blood test results etc. and any other medical terms. Silly me said no mainly because I had enough worries to deal with and was probasbly still maxed out in shock at the time.So , I never really pursued it as far as blood counts etc were concerned.
    Consequently, I don't have a lot of knowledge on abreviations of tests/meds etc.
    I was only really concerned if my counts were too low and they might need to delay treatment which never happened.
    HIYA BERT!!!!!!!!
    cheers kanga n Jen
  • pjenks57
    pjenks57 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    never fear.. Well alot I know! If SB were here he would remind us both that CEA is not to worry. I only knew of CEA (people told be that it is the cancer enzyme level in the blood, but not sure that is true) until I asked in this room. I asked Dr. about hubby's level and was told that prior to chemo his level was 624, after 3 treatments dropped to 124 and after 6 treatements it is now 16 and I was happy.. Wonder if I will ever see below 5 (told this is the magic number!).. Please try to concentrate on the positive with me and maybe we can all make it thru this time together. Bless you and Bert and hang in there we can slay the dragons together.
    Take care...
  • MelStar
    MelStar Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Monika, I'm a medical transcriptionist and I had one of the doctors I work for explain CEA to me in layman's terms and I still don't understand it!! I just let my onc tell me what it is, and say oh good if he's happy about it. So hang in there, and just keep fighting.

Melody
  • jcavanaugh
    jcavanaugh Member Posts: 100
    Options
    MelStar said:

Monika, I'm a medical transcriptionist and I had one of the doctors I work for explain CEA to me in layman's terms and I still don't understand it!! I just let my onc tell me what it is, and say oh good if he's happy about it. So hang in there, and just keep fighting.

Melody

What type of cancer do you have? My dad was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer in May 2002 with one spot in the liver. Everything was surgically removed in Summer 2002. He went on chemotherapy for a year (4 weeks on and 2 weeks off). He finished chemo in September 2003. In December 2003, he had a clean PET scan and normal CEA level. His CEA level was never really that elevated before the surgery. I know it was less than four but greater than 3. In January, he had a perfet blood test (CEA level). In February, his CEA level slightly increased according to his doctor. He told us that this was no big deal. We were scheduled for a CAT scan prior to the results of this test. My dad had his CAT scan yesterday. The doctor wants to check his blood every two weeks instead of every week. Should I be concerned? Has anyone experienced this and everything was okay?