The wig is gone.....

AngelBaby
AngelBaby Member Posts: 47
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Today is the first day I've gone out without my wig. I used to have long hair but that was a different me. I remind myself that my "new" hair is the beginning of a new me. And like you all told me, it did come back very different. It's wavy and really fine. I want to thank you all for your help and support. You helped pull my through. So far I'm four mos. out of chemo. I still have neuropathy in hands and feet with a little fatigue...but considering where I've been I can deal with it. My sincerest thanks. Karen

Comments

• live42day
    live42day Member Posts: 64
    Karen,
    Congratulations! You've passed another milestone. It is scary the first time out without a wig. But it sure is great to have your own hair again isn't it. My hairdresser helped me shape up the new growth and I went with the spike look. I still keep it a little spikey and I've worn my own hair for about 18 mo. The neuropathy and fatigue will get better in time. You've gone through a lot, the rest is easy.
    janet
  • vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    live42day said:

Karen,
    Congratulations! You've passed another milestone. It is scary the first time out without a wig. But it sure is great to have your own hair again isn't it. My hairdresser helped me shape up the new growth and I went with the spike look. I still keep it a little spikey and I've worn my own hair for about 18 mo. The neuropathy and fatigue will get better in time. You've gone through a lot, the rest is easy.
    janet

yea!!! i took my hat off got tired of it.my19 and 15was a little embrssed. but who cares. my face looks less haggard.i need to get a facial to get rid of these brown spots. i want to bleash my hair blonde but my girls said i would look like a ****
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    It feels great doesn't it, for some reason for me this was the step that really made recovery seem real!
    God bless you and your new life. hummingbyrd
  • krisrey
    krisrey Member Posts: 194
    Karen,
    Congratulations!!!! It is a very big step to say the least. It is still one of my milestones! I did not wear a wig but wore a hat. The first time I went to the mall without it, my husband and children came with me for support. Although, I did "clutch" my hat in my hand as a sort of security..lol I just feels great doesn't it. I am 5 months out of chemo and have been hatless for a while. I was lucky my hair grew much faster than I thought it would. The funny thing is, everybody is asking me if I got a perm (people that have not seen me in a while)LOL.
    Keep up the positive attitude Karen.
    Kris
  • mollym
    mollym Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations Karen. I bet it feels so good. I'm 31/2 months out from chemo and still waiting for enough hair to go without. I'm hoping for only one more month. My wig is starting to show that it's on it's last legs. I had long thick hair before too. It does seem to be coming in much more fine. We'll see. Anyway, Enjoy the new you. Molly
  • lynne40
    lynne40 Member Posts: 87
    Congratulations!! I admire you even though I am not there as of yet. My hair is about 2 inches or so but very curly(like a bad perm) My wig is fitting badly now because my hair pushes it up alot but I'm not ready yet to go outwith out it. Heck I just now started not wearing my hat at home. I could never stand to look at my bald head and surely didn't want anyone else to see it. My daughter will graduate from high school in June, and I'm considering extensions if I can possibly afford them (doubtful) Congrats again I bet it feels great!!
    Lynne
  • tulip66
    tulip66 Member Posts: 32
    Karen,

I too lost the wig last week. I finished with chemo last November and have a little dark growth on my head so goodbye wig! It may only be 1 inch but at least I can see it!
    Ruth
  • Vanetia
    Vanetia Member Posts: 19
    Congratulations, I have 2 more to go so I can't wait too lose the wig.I have alittle growth, but not much. I wear a wig and sometimes just a hat. Around the house I go bald. My husband and daughter both wanted to shave their heads also but I wouldn't let them. So they made me feel like oh well you don't have any hair. I remember right before my hair started coming out, my husband used to tug it lightly too see if it was yet.lol..
  • AngelBaby
    AngelBaby Member Posts: 47
    lynne40 said:

Congratulations!! I admire you even though I am not there as of yet. My hair is about 2 inches or so but very curly(like a bad perm) My wig is fitting badly now because my hair pushes it up alot but I'm not ready yet to go outwith out it. Heck I just now started not wearing my hat at home. I could never stand to look at my bald head and surely didn't want anyone else to see it. My daughter will graduate from high school in June, and I'm considering extensions if I can possibly afford them (doubtful) Congrats again I bet it feels great!!
    Lynne

In a way it feels good to not wear the wig and in others I'm not as brave as I appear. I used my long hair as a shield and the wig the same. Now, my hair is not even a half inch long but it's mine. Today I had a mini panic attack. I suddenly felt naked...I turned around and no one was staring like I had imagined. I'm a shy person by nature so this is a stretch for me...but it feels good.
  • lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    It has been eighteen months since the last chemo. At first my hair was so curly it looked like a very bad pern. It is about to my shoulders now and can once again be put up and is only wavey like before. It is interesting as it came in grey and has turned to a medium brown which I hadn't seen for years. I have no idea why it turned brown because when you are 60 years old you expect grey. Be careful about to much hair coloring at first but it will be about the same as before after a time except maybe the color! When I first went without my wig I kept a few head scraves in my purse when out in case I felt a need to cover up the short hair. After a few trips out and about I decided it was not my problem if others thought my hair was to short. Before I lost my hair I have no memory of noticing other peoples hair or lack of it. Enjoy the feeling of no wig with the beautiful spring ahead of you. Linda
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    I bought my wig just before starting chemo. There wasn't anything that resembled the way I wear my hair naturally so I bought a style I thought looked cute. Never did wear it. The first time I put it on I remember looking into a mirrow and not recognizing the person looking back. It saddened me and I decided I'd rather just be bald. I ended up wearing either a doo wrap or one of my ball caps. It's been 9 months since my last chemo and my hair is back, though much thinner thanks to Arimidex. It's great to have something to style again but it was much faster getting ready to go out when I was bald! Congratulations on this exciting milestone.
  • SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    tlmac said:

I bought my wig just before starting chemo. There wasn't anything that resembled the way I wear my hair naturally so I bought a style I thought looked cute. Never did wear it. The first time I put it on I remember looking into a mirrow and not recognizing the person looking back. It saddened me and I decided I'd rather just be bald. I ended up wearing either a doo wrap or one of my ball caps. It's been 9 months since my last chemo and my hair is back, though much thinner thanks to Arimidex. It's great to have something to style again but it was much faster getting ready to go out when I was bald! Congratulations on this exciting milestone.

Hi everyone,

I too recently have started to go without the wig. Actually went to a huge, high class party and received a compliment on my hair from someone I didn't know. My hair is so many different colors (lighter in the front, darker in the back) so it looks like I colored it on purpose to frame my face. Lots of people want to touch it too, it's so soft. You are right though, bald was easier as far as getting ready!
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Congrats! Today is one month since I completed my 8 cycles of chemo. I feel my scalp is itching! Is that a sign that the hair is growing back. Did you take four months to have a full head of hair? I had very wavy and black hair and I am anxious awaiting to see how my new head would look!