Joint Pain after Chemo is finished

lgw
lgw Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Had a bilateral mastectomy in sept, 03., with reconstruction.(still have expanders :(
I had my last round on chemo in Jan. I was given A/C plus taxol, together. Not fun but thank the Lord i'm now finished.
However; i am still having pain in my joints, especially in my hip. i did have some joint pain during my treatment but mostly after my shots of nulasta to increase my white count. my energy is coming back, i'm begining to walk again and even try yoga. But the pain in my joints is not subsiding.
Any advise? has anyone experienced the same symptoms? and please tell me they will subside soon.
my mind keeps wandering about the cancer spreading but i want to be postive and believe it is from the chemo and i just need some additonal time to heal. but you all know the fear. thanks for listening, looking forward to some good advice.

Comments

• Mstan
    Mstan Member Posts: 1
    Hi..I had A/C and I had my last round of Taxotere Oct 31 2002. Then 6 weeks radiation. I had joint pain mainly in my legs. I got after my oncologist for pain medication. He kept telling me it was addictive. How can you get addicted if you can't get any??? I took Vicodin when I had severe pain. For me it didn't seem to last too long after it was over. But I walk, exercise, feel great now. So from me to you don't be afraid. Realize that your body is going through a huge battle and you are winning!!!!! It's terrifying and painful but we are beating it!!!! I still have aches in my elbows and back but that is from arthritis I am now 51 so that's to be expected I guess...I think the neulasta's effect on our bones causes a lot of it. I hope this helps...
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    The joint pain will definitely subside over the next few months. Sometimes it may flair up when rain is coming... you'll be better at predicting the weather than the people who get paid to do so! Not to worry. This is a very common thing.
    Hugs,
    Denise
  • sportsmom
    sportsmom Member Posts: 2
    Hello: I to had the pain with chemo but was perscribed Celebrex to take. They had me taking 1 twice a day and it seemed to help a little. You might try this and see if it gives you some comfort. I had a modified radical Mysectomy in July 2003. Had 8 treatments of chemo and now doing radiation (33) 0f them still have occasional pain but also taking vicodin for pain . Hope this helps. Good luck and God Bless
  • Designer
    Designer Member Posts: 22
    I have found the biggest help for me was to take a package of jello everyday. Lets me sleep at night. THey say it is suppost to take 3-6 months to have an effect but I was sleepping a lot better in 3 days.
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    sportsmom said:

Hello: I to had the pain with chemo but was perscribed Celebrex to take. They had me taking 1 twice a day and it seemed to help a little. You might try this and see if it gives you some comfort. I had a modified radical Mysectomy in July 2003. Had 8 treatments of chemo and now doing radiation (33) 0f them still have occasional pain but also taking vicodin for pain . Hope this helps. Good luck and God Bless

I am also experiencing joint pain as I had my last chemo on February 20th. I had a masectomy with removal of lymph nodes last October. After the 8th roundof chemo I got the joint pains. Its a horrible feeling and the doctor prescribed Celebrex also twice daily. I decided to take 200 mg once a day which helped me more than taking the 100mg twice daily. The 200mg lasted up to 21 24 hours while the 100mg of Celebrex just lasted 8 hours. I just hope this pain would subdue soon and its nothing permanent.