bcrt1 for positive gene and cancer

Options
dustystorm31
dustystorm31 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am only 30 and was diagnose in the first stage of cancer. I was also diagnosed with the bcrt1 mutaion gene. I have a history in my family of breast cancer, so I am going to have both breasts removed and immediate reconstruction just to be on the safe side. I am really frightened since the surgery keeps getting closer. It is on Feb 25. Then after that I have to take chemo, that is what I am afraid of as well.

Comments

• Sandis
    Sandis Member Posts: 85
    Options
    I am older than you (54 when diagnosed) but I have the BRCA1 gene and last Feb I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate tramflap reconstruction. It wasn't as bad as I expected. The reconstruction looks good and feels good. I was back to work (part-time) in a few weeks. I feel really good that I don't have the second breast and don't have as much anxiety about it coming to the next breast next. I had 6 months of chemotherapy after the mastectomy. Everything was difficult but the anxiety before each step was the worst. You have lots of support here. Also, I found a breast cancer support group that really has been helpful. You will get through this and we'll be here for you. Sandi
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi dusty:

I am curious about your decicsion to have a bilateral mastectomy. Did your doctor recommend it or is it something you prefer, due to the genetic testing and family history?

Also wanted to mention that research has proved that lumpectomy has the same success as mastectomy, particularly in early bc. So, am hoping that you have gotten a 2nd opinion. I am also hoping that your doctor has explained to you that mastectomy cannot remove ALL breast tissue and a prophylactic mastectomy will not guarantee that we cannot get breast cancer.

I'm sure your decision has not been an easy one.
    In view of the fact that our doctor's, for whatever reasons, sometimes fail to tell us
    everything, it's in our best interest to take our time, get at least one other surgical opinion and research carefully to help us be as sure as possible that we're making the best decision for ourselves. If we feel rushed or pressured, there's the potential for making our decisions too quickly and regretting it later.

You'll have some time between your surgery and the start of chemo, to research and talk with other women who've also had chemo. I'd also advise that you see at least two oncologists before beginning chemo. Get a copy of your pathology report so that you know and understand what the properties of your cancer are, specifically (grade, hormone neg. or pos., etc.). Again, research to get a handle on what's typically used in cases like your own, compared to what the oncologists are recommending for you. Ask questions until they are answered to your satisfaction.

Wishing you the very best.

Love,light and laughter,
    Ink
  • Vanetia
    Vanetia Member Posts: 19
    Options
    I am 38, I had a mastecomy in Oct. 03. I was able to go home the next day. The most draggy part is the drains.
    I am going through chemo, I will not lie it is not fun. But, I just keep counting down, 2 more to go out of 8 (4 parts of A/C and 4 parts of Taxotere).
    Just keep the faith, and this site is great for emotional support. There are alot of wonderful ladies here, that can offer support and wisdom.
    Breastcancer also runs in my family, but the gene does not. Some how they linked it to a very distant cousin (male) that had colon cancer. the men get colon and the women get breast. I don't know how this is, but 2 aunts, and my grandmother. Now me.
    I just look for the bright and wonderful light at the end of this tunnel. With lots of prayers and faith.
    Until chemo is done, just try to relax and live one day at a time.