What's Been Going On

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello Dudes and Dudettes! :-)

Well, Bert went for chemo treatment number four yesterday (5fu/leuc/oxal) and so far, so good. He gained three pounds since our last visit (two weeks ago...the doc thinks that's great). He's a little tired on this one and just a tad pale, but very tolerable. All his blood work came back fine today (don't know the CEA and don't want to know). Last time it was still at 5.9 even though PET/CAT combo showed all clear. His blood glucose level was very high though today...over 200!!!!! He is a type 2 diabetic but it has never been that high before. His onc thinks that there is a slight possibility that glucose level can effect CEA, so very close monitoring will continue. And there is also a slight possibility that chemo, in some cases, raises the glucose level. That's new news to me. His red blood count was just a little low...I really do mean just a little, nothing dangerous...like 4.26 with normal range starting at 4.30. Other than that, all was well, including liver function and clear lungs. We asked the doc today if we could go to Europe in May. That's usually when we go to visit Bert's mother and brother, who still live in the "old country." He said that would be no problem and not to do chemo for three weeks instead of two is not a big deal!!! Bert and I kind of looked at each other after he left thinking how much longer will chemo go on? Originally the new onc wanted to do at least an additional two months, but if tolerated well by Bert (which it has been thus far) will shoot for three. Remember, he already had the 5fu/leuc treatment with his old onc starting back in August and he's still be treated for stage III, not IV and not recurrence. Well, three months are up end of March. We will ask him next time we see him. He could have forgotten or maybe is going to give treatment to Bert as long as he can tolerate it. The more, the better or so at least they say.

That's the latest on this end. I continue to keep all of you in my prayers every single day and I just know that with our combined efforts, somebody's got to be listening :-)

Hugs,
Monika

Comments

• pattieb
    pattieb Member Posts: 168
    Options
    Hey monica
    What are you feeding him Great that he gained some weight I wish I could, never thought to hear myself say that 2 times in a year. I did gain weight for a while but now I keep losing all my clothes just hang on me, don't know what I will do when I go back to work lol.
    Keep up the good work Bert.
    Pattie
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hello Monika and Bert!
    What good news after the mess you guys were in with Bert's first chemo. Glad to hear he's tolerating it so well. You must both be so relieved. I'm sure they'll figure out the blood glucose stuff. This really is a one day at a time; one week at a time proposition, isn't it? And never have I been so thankful for the little things we all took for granted. Hang in there, Judy
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    jsabol said:

Hello Monika and Bert!
    What good news after the mess you guys were in with Bert's first chemo. Glad to hear he's tolerating it so well. You must both be so relieved. I'm sure they'll figure out the blood glucose stuff. This really is a one day at a time; one week at a time proposition, isn't it? And never have I been so thankful for the little things we all took for granted. Hang in there, Judy

Hi monika and bert--good to hear you getting on reasonably well bert.
    Hey--I was wondering if you get any "cravings" for different foods/sweets etc?I went from 76 kilos down to 61 kilos after my op. and slowly recovered the wieght during chemo although it was a bit up n down thru that time--eventually managed to get back to 73 kilo now so am fairly happy.
    I had a lot of nausea but found still able to eat reas. well most of the time.I just had these cravings for stuff over a week or so then would have a craving for something else!Jen said I must have been having "male menopause OR was pregnant"--he he.
    Some of the things I craved for was choccy,cheese,coke(cola--he he)cashew nuts--gee--lots of things!
    Must have had "chemo" brain!
    Hope you can do your trip guys--Jen and I are off on our first holiday in 10 years in 4 weeks so know the "urge to go " feeling after the crappy last 9 months.
    always thinking of our mates here--LUV kanga n JEN
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    pattieb said:

Hey monica
    What are you feeding him Great that he gained some weight I wish I could, never thought to hear myself say that 2 times in a year. I did gain weight for a while but now I keep losing all my clothes just hang on me, don't know what I will do when I go back to work lol.
    Keep up the good work Bert.
    Pattie

Hey, Pattie -

Check out the post by kipper1 - maybe that's your answer to keeping some weight on.

TTFN

- SB
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Monika & no-type -

Great news - keep her so!

See ya!

- SB