The port is in!

Options
jsabol
jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all,
Just had an access port inserted on Tuesday, and the proceedure went really smoothly. They used local anesthetic, but before that I got Versad IV, and it was lights out for me; I get a very strong sense of well being from that drug initially, and then I just drift off. Too bad it's not part of the chemo protocol!
So, except for feeling like I was punched in the shoulder, it's been much easier than I anticipated. Round 2 starts Friday; my veins are very thankful for the port. Judy

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Ahoy, Judy -

In retrospect, I wish I woulda gotten one myself.

Be well and enjoy your new accouterment!

- SB
  • QUEENFISH
    QUEENFISH Member Posts: 12
    Options
    spongebob said:

Ahoy, Judy -

In retrospect, I wish I woulda gotten one myself.

Be well and enjoy your new accouterment!

- SB

Yep, Its alot better than blowing and burnin up your veins. My port gives me alot of trouble, it isn't in the usual spot, but it is still better than not having one.
  • pattieb
    pattieb Member Posts: 168
    Options
    Glad to hear you did ok on the port insertion, I wish I had one on my first round of treatments. I haven't had any problems with mine but once in awhile it might bother me a little but thats all, one thing I was told is don't lift or move anything heavy that could cause a problem. Godd luck on Friday.
    Hugs
    Pattie
  • cmcl
    cmcl Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Judy,
    Glad things went well. I never had any problems with my port, couldn't imagine what it would have been like without it. Good luck with the rest of your treatments.
    Carolyn
  • tattoos
    tattoos Member Posts: 10
    Options
    That is great news to hear. I wish you the best on Friday. My aunt hasn't had much problems with her port. They put her port in her chest. I don't know what a normal spot is or not, but as long as it works!!! TAKE CARE

Terri
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Hey Judy- wanna compare ports? I could take a digital pic, but then there isn't really anything to see.. right now there is a 2" scar and a bump which is the port..best thing for me is no worry about getting it wet, and they can draw blood from
    it too. Sending good thoughts for Friday; Bud
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    nanuk said:

Hey Judy- wanna compare ports? I could take a digital pic, but then there isn't really anything to see.. right now there is a 2" scar and a bump which is the port..best thing for me is no worry about getting it wet, and they can draw blood from
    it too. Sending good thoughts for Friday; Bud

Yep==not much fun being "stuck" all the time Carolyn--am sure it is worth the initial trouble Judy--hope it all goes well 4 you.
    cheers kanga n Jen
  • You won't regret it. Bert love's his and my mom will never do veins again. Bert's is in his arm with a line leading to his heart. It's smooth waters from here on out!

Hugs,
    Monika