recovering jaw function

2Neckless
2Neckless Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Can anyone help me get more information about exercise devices or therapies that will help me recover strength and movement in my jaw. I have completed a very vigorous regime of radiation and chemotherapy on a base of tongue cancer.

Comments

• AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    See a speech pathologist for help regaining strength and movement. The radiation does strange things to the muscles and there are devices and tricks to help. I didn't have any of them, but I do know they are available.
  • gardener
    gardener Member Posts: 4
    What jaw function did you lose? I finished base of tongue radiation end of November, and experienced swelling, ulcers, gum nerve pain and a generally tender tongue, but haven't lost jaw funtion.
  • hbeary
    hbeary Member Posts: 1
    See a speach therapist and also a dentist who specializes in TMJ - Radiation gave me lock-jaw and I have a "bite-splint" which opened my mouth. It relaxes your bite and musscles
  • randog
    randog Member Posts: 3
    Try getting a Therabite. (www.therabite.com) I had T4N1 tonsil and soft palate cancer on the right side. I had a radical neck resection surgery followed by radiation. I have 2 more radiation treatments left. This will really help with the limited jaw opening (Trismus) but it takes a while of dedicated use. Better than the tongue depressors recommended by my Kaiser insurance. :)
  • randog
    randog Member Posts: 3
    hbeary said:

See a speach therapist and also a dentist who specializes in TMJ - Radiation gave me lock-jaw and I have a "bite-splint" which opened my mouth. It relaxes your bite and musscles

Try getting a Therabite. (www.therabite.com) I had T4N1 tonsil and soft palate cancer on the right side. I had a radical neck resection surgery followed by radiation. I have 2 more radiation treatments left. This will really help with the limited jaw opening (Trismus) but it takes a while of dedicated use. Better than the tongue depressors recommended by my Kaiser insurance. :)
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    I could not open my mouth for almost 2 years until I had a tumor removed. I began using the "Therabite machine" which is a small hand held device that I use 7 times a day, it takes 60 seconds and you will see results immediately. There is a website on it and I received mine from my doctor. If your insurance does not cover it, it costs about $400 but its well worth it. I am almost back at full capacity but you will be at a comfortable position within 2-3 weeks.
  • coconuts
    coconuts Member Posts: 3
    hbeary said:

I hope you are still a member on this site. I am interested in finding out if a bite_splint helped you to regain the opening of your mouth. I have developed trismus in my jaw because of tonsil cancer. It started to close before my treatment and radiation made it worse. I am using the therabite every day and have noticed a slight improvement but I find that it would be more helpful to have a spiint for night time to keep the opening. Can you please reply. coconuts