Surviving Cancer

It has been nearly 2 years since my cancer surgery. They tell me I'm free and clear..but since the operation, my body has just been falling apart. I have had more than my share of side effects from radiation and it seems that my body has never returned to normal. I'm either always sick or feeling sick. Is this what survival is supposed to be?

Comments

• groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    If you're in the "free and clear" and still feel lousy, maybe you should look for other reasons that you don't feel well. Are you having menopausal symptoms (you don't say what your age is)? I was premenopausal when I had my hysterectomy, and didn't feel great for a while. Three months ago I talked to my family doctor about it, and she suggested I try taking an antidepressant to see if that would help. I won't consider taking hormone therapy, nor was it ever suggested, but the antidrepressant has eased the symptoms I had.

I've also undertaken losing the weight I've needed to lose. It's not easy, but it's something I can do for myself, and it feels good, too.

I hope you start feeling better. Are you getting any exercise? It's great for the mind as well as the body. I'm not really ambitious to exercise much, but I always feel better when I do.

My surgery was in Sept. of 2002.
  • hojo
    hojo Member Posts: 6
    hi my name is ronnie and i am a 4yr uterine stage 3 survivor. i was diagnosed at 47 and after 2 surgeries, 1mo radiation and 6mo chemo's life finally feels normal again. someone told me to give myself 3 years to feel normal and at the time i thought he was crazy...but he was right, your body takes some beating and it does take time to get back to your old self. try some yoga and surround yourself with positive people....if you need to talk i'm here good luck and be well...ronnie