Type 2 Breast Cancer

Options
DanLEstrada
DanLEstrada Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Please help. My wife was diagnosed with type 2b Breast cancer. I am looking for any feedback on this particluar stage everything I find is Stage 3 or 4. Her Doctor suggested chemo,or tamoxifen for 5 years or both. Anybody with type 2 that has been treated Please contact me on your expereince. She had only 1 lymph node bad, had surgery 12/23/03, removal of left breast and has had a transflap reconstruction. Please write back or email DanLEstrada@comcast.net. All information will be appreciated. Bless all

Comments

• hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I started out stage 2 and was treated with adriamycin/cyclophosphomide x 4 then taxol x 4 followed by 33 radiation treatments (but that's because I had a lumpectomy and not a mastectomy). That was 6/00 and had 13 out of 27 + lymph nodes. Was on tamoxifen for a year, but it quit working so opted for hysterectomy and aromasin.
    You can find a full treatment plan at www.cancer.gov
    Hope this helps. hummingbyrd
    P.S. Faith in God, a positive attitude and the fact that you must be a very loving husband is going to do more for your wife than anything else.
    God bless you both. hummer
  • BBK
    BBK Member Posts: 53
    Options

I started out stage 2 and was treated with adriamycin/cyclophosphomide x 4 then taxol x 4 followed by 33 radiation treatments (but that's because I had a lumpectomy and not a mastectomy). That was 6/00 and had 13 out of 27 + lymph nodes. Was on tamoxifen for a year, but it quit working so opted for hysterectomy and aromasin.
    You can find a full treatment plan at www.cancer.gov
    Hope this helps. hummingbyrd
    P.S. Faith in God, a positive attitude and the fact that you must be a very loving husband is going to do more for your wife than anything else.
    God bless you both. hummer

Hummer, How did you know that the tamoxifen had stopped working? Curious... I'm only 7 months' into taking Tamoxifen, and the side effects are more than a little annoying. But, my onc. says it's the BEST treatment currently avail to me...I'm 44 and probably still pre-menopausal...even though it appears that the chemo may have pushed me into menopause (I've gone 9 months' with no period...well, except for one unexpected one in October...) So, curious as to how one would know that the medication has stopped working. Thanks. ~Barb
  • 59Tammy
    59Tammy Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 1 in May, 2003. I, too, had one bad node. However, I had a double mastectomy, reconstruction and transflap. I finished my chemo in October, started tamoxifen in November and another surgery tomorrow. I could tell you so many things, but I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. Because you are the spouse, I believe that you should talk to another significant other! You go through this in a different way than we do. Sometimes we forget that you, too, are experiencing some major issues. My partner has been through the ringer! He is the one who wants all of the information, I just want to get through it. Maybe you would like to talk to him. Let me know and I'll give you his email address. Best of luck to you both!
  • hummingbyrd
    Options
    BBK said:

Hummer, How did you know that the tamoxifen had stopped working? Curious... I'm only 7 months' into taking Tamoxifen, and the side effects are more than a little annoying. But, my onc. says it's the BEST treatment currently avail to me...I'm 44 and probably still pre-menopausal...even though it appears that the chemo may have pushed me into menopause (I've gone 9 months' with no period...well, except for one unexpected one in October...) So, curious as to how one would know that the medication has stopped working. Thanks. ~Barb

My periods came back with a vengence, so that was my first tip. Then I asked onc for blood work, FSH and LH. Those levels will show if you are in menopause or not. I was not, so to get rid of the estrogen I went to the main source, the ovaries. I had a hysterectomy and started aromosin.
    Docs will argue risk of osteoporosis and heart disease with hys because of early menopause. Doesn't hold water with me cause what are they doing with Tamoxifen?
    Putting you in a state of "chemically induced menopause" which increases risk of osteoporosis and you lose the protective effect of estrogen to the heart (if the tamoxifen is working). By the way cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower helps tamoxifen work better. Ask doc about pill form Indole-3-Carbinol.
    Tamoxifen has a slight increase risk of uterine cancer, which I don't want to risk. Plus, without my ovaries I know I'm menopausal.
    Hope this helps. hummer
  • krisrey
    krisrey Member Posts: 194
    Options

My periods came back with a vengence, so that was my first tip. Then I asked onc for blood work, FSH and LH. Those levels will show if you are in menopause or not. I was not, so to get rid of the estrogen I went to the main source, the ovaries. I had a hysterectomy and started aromosin.
    Docs will argue risk of osteoporosis and heart disease with hys because of early menopause. Doesn't hold water with me cause what are they doing with Tamoxifen?
    Putting you in a state of "chemically induced menopause" which increases risk of osteoporosis and you lose the protective effect of estrogen to the heart (if the tamoxifen is working). By the way cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower helps tamoxifen work better. Ask doc about pill form Indole-3-Carbinol.
    Tamoxifen has a slight increase risk of uterine cancer, which I don't want to risk. Plus, without my ovaries I know I'm menopausal.
    Hope this helps. hummer

Hummingbyrd...
    I have been on tamoxifen for just over three months and the side effects have not been bad (yet). But I have not had a period since july, so they tamoxifen must be working. However, I was wondering if I should pose the question about removal of the ovaries instead of taking the tamoxifen. I am also her2 positive and have heard that the tamoxifen may not work as well as if I was her2 neg..but the doc said it is working because I havent had a peroid.
    Thanks for the info.
    Kristen
  • hummingbyrd
    Options
    krisrey said:

Hummingbyrd...
    I have been on tamoxifen for just over three months and the side effects have not been bad (yet). But I have not had a period since july, so they tamoxifen must be working. However, I was wondering if I should pose the question about removal of the ovaries instead of taking the tamoxifen. I am also her2 positive and have heard that the tamoxifen may not work as well as if I was her2 neg..but the doc said it is working because I havent had a peroid.
    Thanks for the info.
    Kristen

If your not having periods the tamoxifen or the chemo has thrown you into a chemical menopause. Having a hysterectomy in your case would probably be considered a personal choice.
    I took tamoxifen for a year, then started having periods. That was when I started questioning its efficacy. If I were on it now, no periods, I would probably stick with it, but I'd definately be asking doc about I3C.
    To the best of my knowledge tamoxifen is not effective with ER neg tumors. I3C does have benefits with ER neg tumors (we are talking cabbage here people).
    Wonder why we don't know cabbage helps **** growth of breast cancer? $$$$$
    My only other suggestion is looking into herceptin, if you are strongly HER2neu positive.
    I wanted to take it to prevent metastasis, but it wasn't indicated for that then. Again my personal preference...I had a strong feeling it was going to metastasize to my bones.
    God bless.
    hummingbyrd
  • maplegrnny
    maplegrnny Member Posts: 6
    Options
    WOW--Dan you have discribed my daughter exactly except for the re construction. Surgery was Dec. 22nd. She is 34 and begins her chemo tomorrow (Friday) Adriamycin and Cytoxan. She had a "Port" inserted on Tuesday--and had it re checked today because she was uncomfortable but it is OK. She will do this for 4 treatments every 2 weeks for 8 weeks, then another drug, not sure what for another 4 weeks. The day following the chemo she will take Nevlasta I understand this is to keep her white cells up to within the normal range. When my daughter had the surgery (in Charlotte NC) we had the reports sent to my dr in Ohio to see if he agree'd and he did. My dr also said that treatments differ depending on where you live. At first he thought he might have only done a lumpectomy, but after reading the reports and results he said the mastectomy is what he would have done. Aks questions lots of them. I have only been on this site for 2 days and have learned a lot. Like one survivor said--the books are great but hearing from the survivors is the real truth. And they have so many suggestions--some work and some didn't BUT no one othe there is giving up. Keep a positive outlook and give your wife lots of love. Good Luck and God Bless