post breast cancer

Options
hillarys
hillarys Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finished the chemo and radiation 4 months ago. I am now facing terrible depression and some anxiety. Can anyone relate to this? Why do you think this is happenning and how did you cope?

Comments

• isaiah4031
    isaiah4031 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hi Hillary,
    You don't say much about you or the cancer...how old are you and what stage was the cancer? Regardless of those things, you've gone through a tremendous ordeal. The chemo and rads takes a terrible toll on your body and seems to wreck havoc with the hormones. That alone can cause depression, anxiety, etc. This site is a great place to get advice, encouragement, etc. Just knowing I wasn't alone with my cancer was such a comfort...although I wish no one had to go through this! It is a long healing process...physically, mentally, emotionally...I spent long hours talking to my loved ones about my feelings, but one of the most therapeutic was writing about my feelings. I wrote in a journal about all my thoughts, fears, hopes, etc. It was a great outlet. Sometimes, I just sat down and gave myself permission to cry. I hope you start feeling better, but don't be too hard on yourself...give yourself time to heal and grieve...
    Hugs,
    Jayne
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I can relate, the battle is over, sort of and now you have time to be afraid.
    Jayne had some wonderful suggestions, that should be very helpfull.
    If you want to know how I coped your welcome to come visit my website at www.urcctc.com
    (((HUGS))) hummingbyrd
  • krisrey
    krisrey Member Posts: 194
    Options

I can relate, the battle is over, sort of and now you have time to be afraid.
    Jayne had some wonderful suggestions, that should be very helpfull.
    If you want to know how I coped your welcome to come visit my website at www.urcctc.com
    (((HUGS))) hummingbyrd

Hummingbyrd,
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said.."the battle is over, sort of and now you have time to be afraid".. I know for me this is what I am experiencing. Treatment is over, but now I find myself being afraid of every little thing that goes on with my body.
    Thanks as always for some insightful words!
    Kristen
  • Westside
    Westside Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi. I finished radiation and chemo two months ago. I am facing the same thing you are. I think part of the reason I am so anxious, is it is time now to start the rechecks. I just have a feeling that the news may not be what I want to hear. I battle trying to stay positive. For me, since treatment is over for now, people act like its over. There was so much support to begin with and now it is fading away. It is all still very real to me. You do not want to feel selfish or self-centered but it seems to always be in my head. As far as coping. I have not really figured that out yet. I like time for myself. I want to be able to think with interuption. Know that I wish I had the answer for all of us. I will keep working on it and hopefully we can help each other.
  • jake10
    jake10 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    After all the treatment and the running back and forth to doctor visits, I too became depressed and a lot more fearful. When I was busy "curing" the cancer I didn't have time to wallow in it. I also felt like I was doing something, taking action, beoing pro-active. But when it all stoped I had to sit back and hope the treatments and surgery all worked. Quite a lot to handle. Be kind to yourself, you and entitled to a few weepy days. If they start to string along to long, talk to your doctor. Good Luck, Beth
  • lgw
    lgw Member Posts: 11
    Options
    i too just finished chemo, let me recommend a book i found to be helpful.
    it's called After Breast Cancer, a common sense guide to life after treatment by Hester Hill Schnipper.

be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to heal - physically and emotionally.

best wishes on your journey. lin