WELCOME ALL NEW TO THE csN nETWORK

Options
kelli63
kelli63 Member Posts: 84
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
TO ALL WHO READ THIS:

WELCOME ALL NEWBIES HOPEFULLY YOU CAN FIND PEACE OF MIND HERE WE ARE ALL HERE TO HELP YOU THROUGH THIS TUNNEL OF TERROR AND GET YOU THROUGH ALL OF THIS. WELCOME AND LOOKFORWARD TO TALK WITH YOU ALL.

KELLY

Comments

• canuckliane
    canuckliane Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Chemo before Surgery

Hello fellow warriers!

I am newly diagnosed with IDC and DCIS. The tumor is small (less than 2 ) but triple negative and thus, aggressive. I am having more than one surgical consult but the first

one suggested we delay surgery 3-4 months and start with chemo (shrink tumor - less radical surgery). She had to leave for OR but my husband and I both wondered why

we'd delay so long given the agressiveness of this cance, difficulty to treat in the first place (being triple -ive) and the fact that it's so small. Any thoughts?

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Chemo before Surgery

Hello fellow warriers!

I am newly diagnosed with IDC and DCIS. The tumor is small (less than 2 ) but triple negative and thus, aggressive. I am having more than one surgical consult but the first

one suggested we delay surgery 3-4 months and start with chemo (shrink tumor - less radical surgery). She had to leave for OR but my husband and I both wondered why

we'd delay so long given the agressiveness of this cance, difficulty to treat in the first place (being triple -ive) and the fact that it's so small. Any thoughts?

Welcome

Welcome canuckliane

Denise

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

Welcome

Welcome canuckliane

Denise

You're not really "delaying"

you would be having neoadjuvunct chemotherapy.  This means you'd be having chemo before surgery.  Your treatment protocol will have begun with the chemo, you just would not be having surgery first.  This is pretty common with certain patients, but if you're uncomfortable, please get a second opinion.  You're entitled to one and doctors are not at all offended when you get it. I hope you get the answers you need and are as comfortable as possible with how you're treated prior to starting anything.  I'm sure someone will chime in who has done a similar protocol.  All breast cancers are not the same. 

Welcome to our little corner of the world where we all get it.  I could not have made it through my ordeal without the support of the women on this board.  We're here for you.

Suzanne

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Chemo before Surgery

Hello fellow warriers!

More than One Consult*

Having second opinion is always a good idea.

I was Triple Negative IDC Stage 3C.......because it had spread to the lymph nodes.  That was in 2002........and I'm still here.  Prayers for good decisions and for strength and courage.....   I had my surgery first (lumpectomy) and then the chemo and radiation.   I was not going to do chemo at all if they had not found that it had spread to the lymph nodes.... we are all different...but we all understand the terror of Cancer........and we send you our hope and please keep us informed.  Glo