Calcifications

Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, everyone. I had a lumpectomy in Nov. 2003. in my left breast. 1.2 cm, ER/PR- negative/ grade 3; stage 1. No nodal involvement; clean margins obtained after reexcision.

They did an MRI of both my breasts and although no lesions were found in my right breast, they did find calcifications and the radiologist indicated that I should have a 6 mo. follow up MRI to make sure that the calcifications are "stable." The surgeon agreed and I'm schedule for an MRI in early May. BUT I'm a bit scared... I'm hearing that calcifications in the breast are almost always a precursor to cancer? Is this true? Should I push to have the MRI done sooner? I'm just so nervous about waiting until May, 2004. I feel another cancer is growing in my right breast right now, and I haven't even finished chemo! I'm about to have my 4th A/C next week, to be followed by Taxol, then by radiation. Anyone who has faced a similar situation or who can offer any words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks to all for your continued input.

Jaded

Comments

• DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Maybe the best thing for you to do is seek a second opinion, express your concerns in regard to what you feel is happening and go from there. Since the radiologist and surgeon agree, you might want to run all of this by your oncologist and your gynecologist.

This is just a thought, but maybe it would be of some help to you. If I count correctly, your taxol will be ending around the time the May MRI is planned. At that time, the May MRI could tell more about what is or is not occurring based upon changes between that MRI and the previous MRI. I'm sorry you are going through all of this. It stinks.
    Hugs,
    Denise
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    Hello. I am newly diagnosed and my cancer was discovered after microcalcifications were found, that all who looked at them said appeared to be benign. I was told to wait 6 mos and have it looked at but, insisted on a biopsy. My cancer was stage 0 but, grade 3. Because there are so many, I am losing both breasts a week from Wed and have no idea if there is any lymph involvement, etc, yet. I am TERRIFIED. I am also very glad that I pushed for the biopsy. With grade three, I cannot imagine I would have remained a stage 0 for long. Ask for the biopsy if you are uncomfortable. Please.
  • gloami
    gloami Member Posts: 4

Hello. I am newly diagnosed and my cancer was discovered after microcalcifications were found, that all who looked at them said appeared to be benign. I was told to wait 6 mos and have it looked at but, insisted on a biopsy. My cancer was stage 0 but, grade 3. Because there are so many, I am losing both breasts a week from Wed and have no idea if there is any lymph involvement, etc, yet. I am TERRIFIED. I am also very glad that I pushed for the biopsy. With grade three, I cannot imagine I would have remained a stage 0 for long. Ask for the biopsy if you are uncomfortable. Please.

I had a small, rare breast cancer removed August, 2002 -- It was stage 1, no lymph node involvement, and said to have the best prognosis. I had a lumpectomy, radiation and I'm on tamoxifin. I've had follow-up mammograms every 3 months. My insurance, Blue Cross, cancelled me, so I went to Cook County Hospital. The radiologists found slight changes with calcifications (macro) in September, 2003, and said I didn't have to have another mammogram until Sept, 2004. I went back to Lutheran General and had a mammogram anyway -- and the radiologist was concerned when he saw the microcalcifications. Then I went to my sergeon. I had a biopsy on Friday and today I'll hear "the good news". How can I have had radiology, taking Tamoxifin, and have another cancer growing in the same breast? I know that calcifications are markers for breast cancer -- and I understand your fears. I'm scared.... too! I've made changes in my life; with no family history of breast cancer, I have always been health; I eat organic, exercise, do a lot of fiber, and I don't know what else to do. I'll pray for you -- and pray that I'm okay, too!
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    gloami said:

I had a small, rare breast cancer removed August, 2002 -- It was stage 1, no lymph node involvement, and said to have the best prognosis. I had a lumpectomy, radiation and I'm on tamoxifin. I've had follow-up mammograms every 3 months. My insurance, Blue Cross, cancelled me, so I went to Cook County Hospital. The radiologists found slight changes with calcifications (macro) in September, 2003, and said I didn't have to have another mammogram until Sept, 2004. I went back to Lutheran General and had a mammogram anyway -- and the radiologist was concerned when he saw the microcalcifications. Then I went to my sergeon. I had a biopsy on Friday and today I'll hear "the good news". How can I have had radiology, taking Tamoxifin, and have another cancer growing in the same breast? I know that calcifications are markers for breast cancer -- and I understand your fears. I'm scared.... too! I've made changes in my life; with no family history of breast cancer, I have always been health; I eat organic, exercise, do a lot of fiber, and I don't know what else to do. I'll pray for you -- and pray that I'm okay, too!

Hi there....yes, honey, I will pray for you and thank you for praying for me. I did have a strong family history of breast cancer. I am on pins and needles waiting for my surgery on Feb. 4. It is like this is happening to someone else, I am totally removed from it when I talk about it. I try to find humor, but, can see me screaming when they take me down for surgery. Please let me know what you find out on Friday. I am surprised at how long they are taking. I knew the next day. The waiting is the hardest huh? I just encourage any woman with microcalcifications that is not convinced or is worried to get a biopsy. It saved my life, I hope.