Genetic Testing

BonnieR
BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello, I had ovarian cancer 3c, it had spread to my liver,spleen,abdomen,colon, one tumor had wrapped all the way around my appendix - in other words it was bad. But now no signs of cancer. Because my sister had already had ovarian cancer a genetic test was done and it came back that I have the BRCA2 gentic defect. I would not talk about another surgery at the time but did agree no hormone replacements and a mammogram twice a year. I know in February they are going to want to talk about preventive surgery as my odds on getting breast cancer are in the 90% area(so they say). Has anyone done this? I really don't want another surgery but don't want to deal with cancer if I don't have to either. Any comments yea or nay will be appeciated. Thanks BonnieRose

Comments

• groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Hi Bonnie, I haven't had prophylactic breast removal done, but I've heard about it from others. The www.cancer.org site (this one) has an article from 1999 that discusses breast removal, and the odds involved. The link to get to the article is http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Effectiveness_of_Breast_Removal.asp

What a hard decision to have to make! There have been many women who have had it done, though, so I hope someone will step in and "converse" with you. Have you searched the breast cancer board for the topic? Best of luck to you!
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    This is not regarding Genetic Testing, but I noticed your reply to another topic and you mentioned 'gall bladder' pain. I am an ovca survivor and have had pain under the ribs on the right side, sometimes radiating to the back. I have also had tests and they claim there is nothing there. I can't really relate it to anything I eat or anything else relative. So, I guess I'll just have to continue to keep an eye on it.
    Any thoughts, let me know.
    Thank you!
    Monika
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    mopar said:

This is not regarding Genetic Testing, but I noticed your reply to another topic and you mentioned 'gall bladder' pain. I am an ovca survivor and have had pain under the ribs on the right side, sometimes radiating to the back. I have also had tests and they claim there is nothing there. I can't really relate it to anything I eat or anything else relative. So, I guess I'll just have to continue to keep an eye on it.
    Any thoughts, let me know.
    Thank you!
    Monika

thanks for sharing Monika, I wonder what the pain is from. It kinda scares me sometimes because I remember how sick I felt before they found the cancer and yet they told me nothing was wrong. Scary huh? Was you cancer in your liver also? Mine was and I sometimes think that is what it is from but am told no. I can't link mine to anything I've eaten either. Guess as you say just have to keep an eye on it, but if they ever find what is causing it I'll post it right away.

Take Care and God Bless
  • Trysh
    Trysh Member Posts: 1
    Hello BonnieR, I"m new to this site and wish to comment on your note about genetic testing. I"ll start with a brief bio on my history. I myslef have not had cancer but I am considered high risk due to family. My grandmother passed away in Feb 97 from OVCA and my mother was DX in July 1996 with Breast cancer and in 99 Ovca stage 4, she passed away Sept 5 2003. My cousin was dx with Breast cancer at the age of 30, as well as my sister. Both are having masectomies and my sister is having an hysterectomy. Before my mother passed away she had sent a sample of her blood to be tested, it took a very long time to get the results back about a year and a bit, but it did come back positive for the BRCA2 mutation. My sister and I have just had our blood drawn on Dec 29 2003 and I get the results tomorrow. I so very nervous and I'm in the same boat as you sort of with the desions of what to do if its positive. But you do have the mutation and I would strongly suggest going through with the masectomies. If my test comes back positive , I'm only 29 and I will be doing the surgury. Maybe there are others in our shoes or my shoes as well, high risk with possible mutation???? Help