The Big Day Came and Went

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi folks:

As promised, here's the update on how things went with Bert's new onc and future treatments at USC/Norris (major cancer center), after being able to get Bert unto my PPO insurance.

Most of you will recall that according to his HMO protocol, he was done with his 5fu/leuc treatment 12/18/03. Although throughout the course of treatment he tolerated it pretty well, of the 18 treatments received, a little less than half had to be reduced dose due to the severe diarrhea brought on by the 5fu that no oral meds could control.

In a nut shell, Bert's new onc has put him on a minimum of 2 more months, most likely three, of 5fu/leuc/oxal...first of which was today. Dr. Lenz just feels in his gut and heart that the chemo Bert received was not enough and to give him the best shot at cure, he needs a little more. To say that I am not scared would be an understatement...I know how awful it was for Bert with the diarrhea and I am praying to dear God that we won't have any more severe bouts of it. He was in so much trouble over Christmas and hospitalized once before. I am worried sick, but with God's help, we will get through this. The treatment, according to the onc, should be somewhat less toxic as the leucavorin and oxaliplatin are administered at the same time via drip followed in the end by a 5FU push and then slowly via pump over a period of 48 hours. I just hope, and hope, and hope it won't be too bad for him. He has been so well the last two weeks...it breaks my heart to think of what could happen again. But I also know that all of this C_ _ P is temporary and that the additional chemo should increase his cancer free or cure rate odds. So I guess it's worth it, huh? I just don't want to see him suffer again with diarrhea...it was bad folks, real bad. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest because I am very, very scared. I'll keep you all posted.

Lots of prayers, hugs, and good wishes
Monika

Comments

• aleftina
    aleftina Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Monika, did the doctor say why he wouldn't give Burt Xeloda instead of 5FU if it caused him so much diarhear before? Or is it the same?

Yesterday was also a first for me: I had the Oxaliplatin bolus administratin, and I was also worried to death how would I react, and it didn't turn out that bad, I had decadron the night before and in the morning, Enzamet and marinol with the Oxaliplatin, so I am able to eat and take and keep it down, that enables me to take the Xeloda orally. But I heard with Oxaliplatin the 3rd and 4th day are the worst, so I am still uptight, preparing for the worst.

I hope Burt won't have the diarhear like he had before, or they find a medication for him to control it. Good luck with it, Monika!
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. This new oncologist sounds like just the type of person you want planning treatment. I hope the new dosing plan will let Bert's body adjust to the stuff without the side effects....what an ordeal for you both..best of luck. I'm off this a.m. for my second tx of 5FU and Leucovorin...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for me, too.
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Hi Monika...

Thanks for the update. I often think of everyone here still getting treatment and am constantly trying to send every positive vibe I have their way. I think that your new oncologist is being aggressive enough and realistic enough to give you a better piece of mind regarding treatment. Even if the doses are lower but over a longer period of time, I think it will do him a world of good.

I'm sure emily (2bhealed) will stop by here and maybe offer you a few nutritional hints to help push things along from that angle.

Please realize we are all here for you both (and your mom, too!) and wish only the very best for you!

Take care,

Stacy
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Monika & Bert -

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you're heading down a good road with a good guide. Like Stacy, I'm keeping you guys, and tina and judith, and everyone else in my thoughts and prayers.

Best regards

- SB
  • aleftina said:

Monika, did the doctor say why he wouldn't give Burt Xeloda instead of 5FU if it caused him so much diarhear before? Or is it the same?

Yesterday was also a first for me: I had the Oxaliplatin bolus administratin, and I was also worried to death how would I react, and it didn't turn out that bad, I had decadron the night before and in the morning, Enzamet and marinol with the Oxaliplatin, so I am able to eat and take and keep it down, that enables me to take the Xeloda orally. But I heard with Oxaliplatin the 3rd and 4th day are the worst, so I am still uptight, preparing for the worst.

I hope Burt won't have the diarhear like he had before, or they find a medication for him to control it. Good luck with it, Monika!

Hi Aleftina,

No, the doc didn't explain why not Xeloda instead of 5FU...but I will ask. I think part of the reason may be that the way the 5FU is now being administered (over a period of 48 hours)is supposed to be much less toxic. It's a waiting game...again!!!!
  • pattieb
    pattieb Member Posts: 168
    Options
    Glad to hear everything went well.
    Pattie