Tense Ascites

Options
gigglegirl
gigglegirl Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Greetings to all, I was hoping to find others having to cope with complications of liver mets and fluid retention in the abdomen known as "tense ascites". I have been stage IV now for just over 5 years, seems I don't know when to quit. The disease advanced to my liver about 3 and 1/2 years ago. So, the last couple of years have been challenging to say the least. The ascites seems to build up over a couple of weeks and then off to see the PA for a paracentisis (sp?) a procedure to drain my abdomen. My Oncologist has done it a time or two, but the PA seems much more comfortable with the procedure. Has anyone had any results with alternative treatments, diet or nutritional supplements (or medication) to help alleviate this condition. I have been going for accupuncture 2x per week. Which allows me to feel better over all and in the past has helped with both nausea and pain; unfortunately it has not had much affect on the ascites. Please, if anyone has had any positive results or suggestions for coping with this condition I would be greatly appreciative.
Thank you in advance. Wishing everyone well in this new year. Lisa

Comments

• DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Try to redouble your efforts to restrict salt intake. Try to avoid prepared foods altogether as well as cold cuts and cured meats. Regular tea and green tea may help some in flushing fluid out. I tried looking on Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's cancer treatment alternative therapies board at http://www.mskcc.org for something helpful but struck out. I wish I could have offered more assistance.
    Love,
    Denise
  • gigglegirl
    gigglegirl Member Posts: 11
    Options
    DeeNY711 said:

Try to redouble your efforts to restrict salt intake. Try to avoid prepared foods altogether as well as cold cuts and cured meats. Regular tea and green tea may help some in flushing fluid out. I tried looking on Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's cancer treatment alternative therapies board at http://www.mskcc.org for something helpful but struck out. I wish I could have offered more assistance.
    Love,
    Denise

Dear Denise, Thank you for the suggestion. I will give the web for Sloan a peek. Saw the Onc today and he thinks we should push the diuretis a bit. So, along with the green tea and my other avenues I will keep "sloshing" ;-) along. I sure hope you are not struggling with this same problem. The trips for the paracentisis are NO FUN, that is one big needle. Just say OUCH. Lots of love to you. Lisa