What about recurance?

Designer
Designer Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a single mother, thrying to make a life after divorce and cancer and now afraid. I have no way to get medical help that I know of, do not know if it has come back, I am feeling angery and helpless. Hopeing over nothing. Just need to talk to someone who understands or may know of some options.

Comments

• isaiah4031
    isaiah4031 Member Posts: 240
    What state are you in? There are many resources available in most states. What kind of cancer? Are you doing self exams? Who was oncologist? and why are you not covered for medical help now?
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Jayne
  • banker
    banker Member Posts: 317 Member
    Do not despair. Tell us more about yourself. Why do you think the cancer has come back? We like to listen and try to help . If you do not want to post you can go to our email. Please keep in touch.((hugs)) Emmi
  • Designer
    OK here it is I had lumpectomy in 99/2000. It was hell. 100 miles one way to treatments , two kids, abusive ex next door, no job, wellfare to get through it. Moved to Indiana, trying to get on my feet, little income, school, no medical and no money. breast is getting more tender seems like maybe an area like a pepperment paddy close to dimpple that was area where cancer removed. I know I could get it looked at but what if it is and I have no means to get treatment or support my family as I go through it. I do not want to know I have it if I can not do anything about it. Yet I want to live, I want a life and my children safe. I am a strong woman but there is limits. Also I now have to go through another fight with ex as he trys to get out of support. I am late 40s with two teens with ADD. I feel angry, bit helpless and scared. Hopeing I am worried over nothing. AND No one I feel I can talk to.
  • lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    I know nothing about IN health care but go down to the health department and demand a check up with a Dr and find out what is available to you. This country does have health care for the needy but you have to demand it and not sit back and worry yourself sick. Find a breast center and tell them your problem also and see what they suggust but don't let them hang up on you. I have no idea if you have a problem but I do know you have a major worry that needs to be looked into. I pray that is all it is is a worry and you can be reassured with a check up by a qualified cancer Dr. Blessed New Year and keep us posted. Linda
  • Designer
    lindatn said:

I know nothing about IN health care but go down to the health department and demand a check up with a Dr and find out what is available to you. This country does have health care for the needy but you have to demand it and not sit back and worry yourself sick. Find a breast center and tell them your problem also and see what they suggust but don't let them hang up on you. I have no idea if you have a problem but I do know you have a major worry that needs to be looked into. I pray that is all it is is a worry and you can be reassured with a check up by a qualified cancer Dr. Blessed New Year and keep us posted. Linda

My understanding is only thing would be medicare but I only qualify for my sons to be covered. I was just in to see about renewing thier hoosier health wise and told I do not qualify. Insurance runs over 300 a month. That is my morgage payment. Seems there is means out there to get check ups but not treatment so what good does it do me to go in. Great if it is false alarm, but if not it just means I Know for certain and have no means to deal with it. I would rather make certain things are in place just in case rather then because I know. Atleast that way I can work at it with the hope it is a false alarm and I am just doing what I should in case I get hit by a car. But this thinking seems all wrong. I should be able to go in get the answer and be able to deal with it if there is a problem and not feel so helpless. I am batting zero on what options are available if it is not a false alarm. The first time I had means in place and I went in and said ok let's get this done and I tried to cheer up the doctor and staff. I felt bad for them. I knew I could endure it and I did.
  • lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    Take this darn thing one step at a time. First off worry can make you ill. Find out if there is a problem the unknown is worse then any known. We can't fight without knowing the battle. If it is cancer then there is Susan Komen Fond, ACS, and yes good old medicare. Here in TN we have state insurance for all uninsured or uninsurable people including myself. Also pays all drugs. Perfect No but sure is great. I was treated at Vanderbilt and then transfered to Sara Cannon, which by the way takes on all breast cancer patients not sure if you have to live in TN or not. Remember Minnie Pearl she left all of her money for breast cancer treatment. She was very old when she died of breast cancer. Don't sit around and worry it will do no good. Call your senator if nothing else. Try a breast center or a research hospital I beleive Duke is in IN. Linda
  • blossomtime
    blossomtime Member Posts: 98
    First things first, go find out if there is anything wrong. Hopefully it is ok, but you will worry yourself sick if you dont check it out. Then if it is something the doctors are well informed about assistance available. If not check with the cancer society, research facilities etc. I was divorced about 18 months when I was diagnosed. My ex was not paying any child support. When I felt better I turned it over to the Attorney General and now I am getting my child support, plus he has to pay all the arrears. Hang in there and keep us posted. God bless. Sharon
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member

First things first, go find out if there is anything wrong. Hopefully it is ok, but you will worry yourself sick if you dont check it out. Then if it is something the doctors are well informed about assistance available. If not check with the cancer society, research facilities etc. I was divorced about 18 months when I was diagnosed. My ex was not paying any child support. When I felt better I turned it over to the Attorney General and now I am getting my child support, plus he has to pay all the arrears. Hang in there and keep us posted. God bless. Sharon

The girls are right you may be worrying about nothing, don't go and borrow trouble, today has enough worries of its own.
    First thing I would do is schedule an appointment to see a doctor. While waiting for that I'd fill out social security disability application, app for food stamps and medicaid along with SSI. I'd also go pick up papers from attorney general's office and fill them out just in case you have to file on your ex. Also, go to your COUNTY hospital and fill out forms for public assistance, that'll help you pay for your medications, kids too.
    Get checked out by doc first, then IF there is a problem, KNOW you will be given care. The worst thing to do is ignore it.
    God bless! hummingbyrd
  • Designer
    Can anyone tell me about the possability of a social security disablity? I do not qualify for medicaid and the only option for insurance is 300 a month nothing from state of Indiana.
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Designer said:

Can anyone tell me about the possability of a social security disablity? I do not qualify for medicaid and the only option for insurance is 300 a month nothing from state of Indiana.

Get your forms and fill them out, you will be denied the first time. In the mean time contact your state representative and senator for help. If you can find one sympathetic to your case they can help get you approved. Be ready to resubmit your application, and get to a doctor for evaluation. If you don't have a re-occurance then on what grounds are you disabled?
    God bless. hummb
  • jake10
    jake10 Member Posts: 202
    Designer said:

I do believe there are programs in every state to assist women who do not qualify for medicaid to get checked then get treatment if there is a problems. Call the Indiana State Health Department. Tell them you would like to talk to someone about Womans Health issues. There are federally funded programs that pays for diagnostic studies and then treatment. Here in Wyoming it is called the Woman's Health Source, it is a breast and cervical cancer early detection program. The phone number here is 1-800-264-1296. They may have info on programs where you are. The call is free.
    Hope this helps. Beth
  • hounddog
    hounddog Member Posts: 115
    Hello I had breast cancer 14 yrs ago in November 1989 . A new breast cancer showed up last year in February . There are many states that offer help check with the American cancer society and see what you can do. Take one day at a time and put your trust in God. We all go through a storm in our lives it is alright to be scared but always keep your trust in the Lord. John 6:14-21 talks about the storm . Hugs and Prayers .Keep in touch .
    Marilyn