Re: Femara

marti54
marti54 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have been taking Femara for about 3 months and have been experiencing terrible back and bone pain.Is anyone on this drug, and what side effects have you experienced.
Marti

Comments

• servivor
    servivor Member Posts: 4
    my name is carolyn elliott in october of this year i was on tomoixfen.then i started break thru bleeding and had to have a complete Historectomy. I had read about femera and know i am on it started nov 2003.i have noticed i acke in the morning my hip exspecialy were i feel i still get those sweats bad but alot less than tomoixifen did.
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Not on femara, but do believe those side effects are common. I take aromasin, same category as femara, and don't have any complaints, praise God!
    There's also a 3rd drug called arimidex. You might ask your doc about switching, won't hurt to ask. God bless and best wishes! hummingbyrd
  • ktinkey
    ktinkey Member Posts: 170
    Marti,

Hi, I have been on Femara for about a year now and still have a lot of joint pain, especailly in my hips. It is a common side effect. I also have arthritis and I believe the Femara has made the symptoms worse. I am going to discuss it with my oncologist at my next visit. I thought it might get better, but unfortunately for me, it has not and seems to be a little worse. Hope you have better luck.

God Bless,
    Kathy
  • maggs
    maggs Member Posts: 164
    I take calcium supplements and some docs put their patients on bone strentheners when on Femara. Discuss it with your onc! I have had lower back pain, but arthritis runs in my family...my mother had lower back pain too.
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    By the way...my standard personal advice...if you've had breast cancer and you've got bone pain...
    GET A BONE SCAN!
    Even when the doc argues that you don't need it, tell him you want one anyway.
    Good luck and God bless! hummb
  • ksayler
    ksayler Member Posts: 6
    Marti,
    I have been on Femara for a year. The bone pain was worse at the beginning and decreases with time. I was told and have read that this is a common side effect with this drug. I read that after we go through menopause our body still produces enough estrogen-type hormone to keep our bones healthy. However, femara inhibits our body from making any of this hormone, so our bones are not getting something that they need. I also read last month that this drug has proven to be very effective. Thank your doctor for prescribing it. Good luck Kathy
  • kas123
    kas123 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry marti I don't have any experience taking Femara, but have been on tamoxifen since Sept 03, with minimal hot flashes. Also thank you for responding to me about preventative mastectomy. Thanks KarenSheehan
  • jbowsher
    jbowsher Member Posts: 1
    kas123 said:

Sorry marti I don't have any experience taking Femara, but have been on tamoxifen since Sept 03, with minimal hot flashes. Also thank you for responding to me about preventative mastectomy. Thanks KarenSheehan

Hello everyone! I am an almost 5 year breast cancer survivor and have been taking Tamoxifen since 1999. I will finish Tamoxifen in Oct.'04. My dr. has suggested Femara, but because I am pre-menopausal, I would have to have my ovaries shut down. I am not sure I am ready to take on sudden early menopause and all the side effects that come with it. I am only 41. Does anyone know how effective Femara is at preventing recurrence? I am not sure the risk is worth it if the benefits are minimal.