recurrence and reconstruction

Options
Judy123
Judy123 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Seven years ago I had a lumpectomy, CAF, and radiation. This week I was diagnosed with DCIS in several places, and plan to have a mastectomy and reconstruction. I am considering tram flap, and would like to know your experiences with this procedure. Did you have it at the same time as the mastectomy, did you have expanders or was it done in one time, what what your time of recovery (I'm a teacher and would like some idea of how long I will have to be gone), any conplications or concerns, and anything else I need to know? Did any of you have the peg procedure for nipple reconstruction? I really appreciate your help. As you know, this is kind of a tough time. Thank you.

Comments

• LindaLempert
    LindaLempert Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I was diagnosed Dec. 2002 with DCIS in the left breast.I had the mastectomey and reconstruction at the same time and it was the tram flap. I was off of work for about 6 weeks. The breast came out very good but am not happy with the nipple. Main thing you have to remember is to do a lot of stretching. The only real "problem" I've had is the area where they took the muscle out of the abdomen. It gets pretty sore sometimes. I do have some bloating and quite a bit of numbness but I think that's to be expected. Just had my one year anniversary of being cancer free and thank the Lord for that. Linda B.
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Hi Judy! I had DCIS in Sept. of 2000. I had a mastectomy and reconstruction on Sept. 11,2000. You do not need an implant. Everything comes from the abdominal muscle. I was out of work for 7 weeks(I'm a Physical Therapist and do heavy lifting) . I was also back on the tennis court in 7 weeks!. I'm satisfied with the breast. 1 Problem with the nipple is it retracts and flattens out which is common. I've had it done 3 times and finally gave up. It still looks good. If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me. Good luck. It's tough but worth it!. HUGS!! Cathy
  • banker
    banker Member Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi , I had a mastectomy in 1998 and tram flap reconstruction 1 yr later. Only regret I have, should have done mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time. Well anyway, I love the result, nipple is a little flat, tatoo has faded, had it done twice, but I am happy. I had no complications, was back at work after 7 weeks, I am a banker. Main instructions from my doctor were NO heavy lifting or situps. At times my tummy aches a bit where the muscle is gone, then I wear stretch panties, medium firm. Seems to help my back too. The numbness in my stomach is almost gone, the breast is numb, have feeling only near the scar. Doing well, I just turned 60 and would do it again. Was DX with new primary BC in healthy breast last year, had lumpectomy, rads and CMF. Should this breast come off sometime in the future, can't have tram flap, will consider implant or dorsi flap. Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to email me. Best wishes. ((hugs)) Emmi
  • blossomtime
    blossomtime Member Posts: 98
    Options
    I had mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders june, 2002. I opted not to do the tram flap for several reasons, one, I did not want another incision, two, I knew recoupe time would be longer, three, I had never had surgery prior to this and did not want the extended anesthesia time. Of course doing it the way I did it required 2 more surgeries. One to get implant and most recently (about 2 weeks ago)I had the areolar and nipple reconstruction, with breast lift on other side. I have been very happy and for me this was the right decision. I know you specifically asked for those who selected tram flap but I felt compelled to answer showing other options. Best of luck to you, Sharon
  • QQN4answers
    QQN4answers Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Judy, Ask your Doctor about the Skin Sparing method. It worked great for me. They take all the breast tissue, nodes that they need, leaving the skin and nipple, put in an implant and 6 weeks later you are back to work. No need for futher surgery.No tram flap etc. One surgery and your done. Until recently Dr's in some areas did not like to leave the nipple in fear of cancer returning. Now they test at time of surgery and know if it is safe to leave the nipple. Good Luck with your choice. Liz :-)
  • Judy123
    Judy123 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks to Linda, Cathy, Emmi, Sharon, and Liz for your responses. Since I already had radiation 7 years ago, using my own body tissue seems to be the only choice for reconstruction. I meet with one surgeon tomorrow and another next week, so will make my decision then. Your input helps a lot. Judy
  • chrissi
    chrissi Member Posts: 6
    Options

I had mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders june, 2002. I opted not to do the tram flap for several reasons, one, I did not want another incision, two, I knew recoupe time would be longer, three, I had never had surgery prior to this and did not want the extended anesthesia time. Of course doing it the way I did it required 2 more surgeries. One to get implant and most recently (about 2 weeks ago)I had the areolar and nipple reconstruction, with breast lift on other side. I have been very happy and for me this was the right decision. I know you specifically asked for those who selected tram flap but I felt compelled to answer showing other options. Best of luck to you, Sharon

Hi blossomtime,

I had a double mastectomy with tissues expanders july 2003. I have just had my implants put in and wondered if you could tell me more about nipple reconstruction. What the procedure involves ect..I have been told by my plastic surgeon that I have to wait a minimum of two months before having it done. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much ~Chrissi