Psychological effects of cancer drugs

Options
aleftina
aleftina Member Posts: 102
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was so shocked how the Oxaloplatin/Xeloda affected me mentally and psychologically. Does anyone know about any studies done of read aobut it so we can prepare or at least not be shocked if/when it happens.

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Morning, Al -

I am unaware of any studies - but I am sure they exist. I was briefed that chemo often causes symptoms similar to depression in Cx patients. As a precautionary measure, I started in group therapy. In my case I had a lot going on in my life at that time; divorce, relocating to a new city with no friends, starting a part-time job, being sick, and having just lost a parent. Hard to say of I felt depressed because of the drugs or because my life totally sucked. Whatever the case, going to a weekly group helped - as did visiting this site.

If you ever need cheering up, just give a jingle! Remember - "Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength" - Sigmund Freud

- SB
  • VonnieKai
    VonnieKai Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I am sorry for your mental problems with your chemo, but relieved that you are discussing them. My husband has become delusional twice after chemotherapy and both times I was told that the chemo wouldn't cause it - there was something else wrong. That may be, but it's just TOO coincidental. After the chemo worked itself out of his system, he got better again. I agree that "they" need to do more studies and research about the psychological effects of chemo - there is something going on and "they" seem to brush it off when confusion occurs. I was in a panic thinking brain mets, stroke, alzheimers, etc.... If the oncologist just said there could be a reasonable chance that confusion or mental problems might result, I could have dealt with everything with less panic and stress.
    My best to you Tina - thanks so much!
  • aleftina
    aleftina Member Posts: 102
    Options
    VonnieKai said:

I am sorry for your mental problems with your chemo, but relieved that you are discussing them. My husband has become delusional twice after chemotherapy and both times I was told that the chemo wouldn't cause it - there was something else wrong. That may be, but it's just TOO coincidental. After the chemo worked itself out of his system, he got better again. I agree that "they" need to do more studies and research about the psychological effects of chemo - there is something going on and "they" seem to brush it off when confusion occurs. I was in a panic thinking brain mets, stroke, alzheimers, etc.... If the oncologist just said there could be a reasonable chance that confusion or mental problems might result, I could have dealt with everything with less panic and stress.
    My best to you Tina - thanks so much!

Thank, Vonnie! That's how I felt, scared shitless! I was so relived it went away after 7 days, at least now I can be aware of it and prepare as much as I can for it. I agree, these things should be made known to patients. I was talking to a lovely lady yesterday I met at a cancer center few weeks ago, they can't find her primary cancer and it is in her lungs and brain. She is so brave, she received radiation and gamma I think, but... to prepare her for radiation, she had to wear a metal crown/mask screwed to her head for 12 hours and she had to lay still, for which she was not prepared or warned about. They just said: lay down here, we need to estimate and coordinate where the radiation will go.