Side effects of Tamoxifen

LaurieLee
LaurieLee Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had side effects from Tamoxifen? Specifically, last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a partial masectomy with radiation treatments. I'm 45 years old. I started Tamoxifen in January 2003 and by May 2003 my monthly cycles had stopped. This was an expected side effect. I soon began having problems with my lower abdomen, bloating and distended. Prior to getting out of bed in the mornings, when I pressed on my lower stomach, there was a significant, hard lump - like a baseball. Some days it was larger and some days it was smaller. Some days it was more elongated. I felt that it was caused by the Tamoxifen and asked the oncologist. He said it could not be a side effect. Although I checked the PDR and many side effects were listed. I pressed my gyn for an ultrasound. Uteran fibroids were found. I went several months with them and had another ultrasound. It was now ovarian cysts. I have never been diagnosed with these prior to the cancer. It may just be a coincidence. Has anyone found a way to deal with these effectively? It seems useless to have them removed if the Tamoxifen is causing them and I'll be on Tamoxifen for another 4 years. By the way, for those of you having hot flashes and night sweats; I've found that taking Tamoxifen in the morning significantly reduces the hot flashes and night sweats. I was told not to take soy or other OTC meds for the hot flashes and night sweats as my cancer is estrogen receptive. Anyone experiencing fibroids/cysts with the Tamoxifen?

Comments

• sassysally
    sassysally Member Posts: 150
    LaurieLee, call your OBGYN and get the ovaries taken out. I had that happen two years into tamoxifen. An ultra sound cannot tell you if they are benign or not. Dont mess with this.... it could be your life at stake. I had mine removed, and glad that I did. I have hot flashes, but can deal with them. So, my advise to you is having the ovaries removed is not USELESS, but necessary. Dont mess with this.... your life may depend upon it. Good luck !!!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I just read Sally's reply--if anyone knows about Tamoxifen, it is Sally! Read her personal web-page! She is 100% right~don't fool around with your life. It's the only one you have!
  • TylersMom1
    TylersMom1 Member Posts: 57
    Hi LaurieLee,
    I started tamoxifen in December of 2002 after bc diagnosis with chemo and radiation. The chemo put me into menopause but in August of 2003 I began spotting. My gyno believes that my body was trying to have periods again. We did ultrasounds and found a cyst in my ovary and a uterine fibroid. She wanted to take the ovary out but I wanted to have a hysterectomy. I did not want to always be worrying about ovarian or uterine cancer since being on tamoxifen increases your risk of uterine cancer. She didn't want to be so drastic but after conferring with my onco, she agreed. I had a hysterectomy in September and am glad I did. Thank goodness everything was benign. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I was 45 when I had this done. I agree with Sally, don't ignore this, get it taken care of. This isn't something you want to mess around with. Good luck, and God bless...Cheryl
  • ConnieHill
    ConnieHill Member Posts: 2

Hi LaurieLee,
    I started tamoxifen in December of 2002 after bc diagnosis with chemo and radiation. The chemo put me into menopause but in August of 2003 I began spotting. My gyno believes that my body was trying to have periods again. We did ultrasounds and found a cyst in my ovary and a uterine fibroid. She wanted to take the ovary out but I wanted to have a hysterectomy. I did not want to always be worrying about ovarian or uterine cancer since being on tamoxifen increases your risk of uterine cancer. She didn't want to be so drastic but after conferring with my onco, she agreed. I had a hysterectomy in September and am glad I did. Thank goodness everything was benign. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I was 45 when I had this done. I agree with Sally, don't ignore this, get it taken care of. This isn't something you want to mess around with. Good luck, and God bless...Cheryl

I am newly diagnosed and recovering from bilateral mastectomy. I have been given options of tamoxifen or ovary removal and taking another drug, Arimidex. I have cysts already on my ovaries that I have lived with from age 14. I am 34 with two babies and do not want anymore children so am thinking of having complete hysterectomy and taking Arimidex. My fear is that this surgery will effect me so negatively that it will not be a good thing. Has anyone had this or at least had their ovaries out. What should I do, tamoxifen? Ovary Removal? Or Hystorectomy? I do not have to do chemo or radiation, I am stage I node negative. Breast Cancer in the family. Opinions welcome.